SSD advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnj, Jan 25, 2011.

1. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Hello, world.

I have a March '09 2.66GHz 15" MBP that I've been running dual Vertex 120 gig SSDs in RAID0 since shortly after I got it. Works great, fast read/write blah blah blah. I was thinking I'd get one of the new i7 jammies, but I don't think that the performance on my current machine is all that bad. I'm also running low (~70 gigs free) and I think I might just run the laptop into the ground but do an upgrade on the SSD front.

I know that new MBPs with the flat battery had some issues at first with certain brands of SSD (OCZ included) but other than that I've been not really paying too much attention to what's been said because frankly, my stuff has been working perfectly (jinx need not apply).

My question is this: What's the consensus on what the best current SSDs are to jam into a MBP? I'm inclined to stick with OCZ and get a pair of Vertex 2 240 gigs. I'd appreciate any insight or advice anyone might have.

Thanks,

John

2. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I hear the OCW Mercury(?) series are good. There were some benchmarks published a while ago and they showed the least performance degradation.

Personally, I've had good experiences with a Corsair P128 over the last year but it's pretty old by now so I wouldn't buy one new.

3. miata macrumors 6502

You might want to do a little research to see if this problem with using RAID 0 with internal drives on an i7. I just purchased an i7 refurb thatis supposed to arrive tomorrow. I have been very happy with my OWC Pro 120 SSD in my older MBP and will be moving it to the new i7. I was hoping yo go to RAID 0 until I read about this problem.

MacBook Pro i7 SATA performance With Solid State Drives: BIZARRE

4. johnnj thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's interesting and what I was afraid of with the new machines. I think I'm going to stick with the March 09 machine I have now. I don't think it's really lacking in performance for what I use it for and I can't justify that sort of expenditure. I don't know, but it seems like the one I have was the last one that didn't have any issues with 3rd party SSDs.