SSD advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patseguin, Dec 10, 2015.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    I have a 2011 Macbook Pro that I am trying to get the best possible performance and hold onto it as long as possible. I have 16GB RAM and a Seagate 1TB HD/SSD hybrid drive. Do you guys think I will see a dramatic enough improvement in performance with a 1 TB SSD to justify the cost?

I was thinking about an 850 Evo or even an 840 Evo to keep my cost down a little. My HTPC's and my main PC use 840 pro's but since I want to use the drive as my main storage on my Mac I want to go 1 TB so the cost needs to stay down a little.

Or do you guys think it would be good to use one of my 840 Pro 256GB drives that I already have and then install my apps on an external drive? I don't think that will be the best way to do it but I am open to suggestions.
  2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

Nov 23, 2011
    You'll get a massive performance improvement with just SSD. The hybrid drives that have a small SSD cache have nowhere near the performance, and they're still just as unreliable/prone to corruption as conventional HDDs.

My vote is to get the 1TB 850 EVO.
  3. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2015
    Bedfordshire, England
    I'm sure you'll see a worthwhile improvement with an SSD solution. I just bought a Samsung 1TB 850 Pro on an Amazon deal for the Lenovo I use as my desktop, and it's a stormer.
  4. DFWHD macrumors regular

Aug 6, 2011
    I just upgraded my son's 2012 cMPB this afternoon with the Samsung Evo 850. Read/write times are smoking. Don't thik you can go wrong with the Evo 850.
  5. dualmax macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2010
    I have the same 2011 MBP and have been using SSD for 3 years, I am telling you the speed increase is huge, it feels like a new computer again when you upgraded to SSD.
  6. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    For anyone interested, I was running a Seagate 1TB hybrid drive and just tonight installed a Samsung 850 Evo and it is awesome. the system was already pretty fast but now with the 1TB full SSD and 16GB RAM I have a great Mac for the next few years. Thanks for the input!
  7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Feb 20, 2009
    OP wrote:
    "Do you guys think I will see a dramatic enough improvement in performance with a 1 TB SSD to justify the cost?"

There's no doubt you'll see a dramatic improvement in drive performance, BUT...
    ...I don't see it as cost-effective on a MacBook that is now going on five years old.

Just not worth putting too much $$$ into it.

Having said that, 480gb SSDs can be found in the $170 price range.

Put your essential stuff on one of those, and leave the less-frequently-accessed stuff on the old drive (housed in a USB enclosure).

My opinion only.
  8. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    I appreciate that but I'm not sure you're right. Yes it is going on 5 years old but it is a Core i7 which is still what machines are built around today. I managed to upgrade it to 16GB of RAM and the 1TB SSD makes it seem like a new machine. I can't see what upgrading to a new machine would do for me other than give me a retina display. I already use my MBP as a desktop machine with my Dell 27" monitor and have the new keyboard and new trackpad with force touch.

The SSD cost me $345 which I considered to be a very good deal for 1 1TB drive.
  9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

Feb 24, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    I knew the performance of a SSD but never really cared for it thinking a standard platter HDD was good enough. Boy was I wrong. Helped install the EVO 850 for my cousin and when I saw the boot time (less than 15 seconds), I was shocked and went out and installed one on my MBP. The noise factor is also a plus. You don't realize how loud a standard HDD is until you go SSD and it's whisper quiet (obvious reasons).
  10. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    Yeah totally, the noise factor is a huge difference. The SSD really breathed new life into my MBP. This year I doubled the RAM to 16GB so those 2 upgrades will make me able to use this as my main machine for a couple years still. The Core i7 is still the best CPU around as far as I know. 2 GHz is a tad slow I guess but everything I am doing seems pretty fast, even more so with the 850 Evo. I am learning Maya modeling and it runs really nice on this machine.

iLoq.Genius, you should look at bumping your RAM to 16GB, I think you'll notice a nice performance increase. Mine really benefited from going from 8GB to 16.

On a side note, anyone know if there is some kind of kit to convert the DVD drive bay into a HDD drive bay to install a 2nd internal SSD or HD for data? I thought I remembered reading something about that but not sure if it's real.
  11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Oct 24, 2013
    Yep they are available on amazon OWC is the most trusted maker.
  12. yukari macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2010
    I've done it. I put HDD on optical bay. But most 2011 MBP or earlier models cannot handle SSD in the optical bay. HDD is no problem.