SSD Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by owlbabu, Jul 12, 2010.

1. owlbabu macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm unsure about an SSD. If I get an SSD, memory space will decrease dramatically. I do have a 1 TB external HD so maybe I'll be ok?

How do I just move files to my external HD? Right now I have a Mac partition for my Time Machine backups, but how do I make it so I can just put files like big media files on there, so I can free up more space on the actual computer for the small SSD?

Is it easy to install Windows 7 via bootcamp using an SSD?

I'm pretty new to the concept of SSDs so any assistance would be awesome.

Thanks.

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

external hdds should just show up on your desktop just like any other usb drive's icon. From there, you can just drag folders and files onto it.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could get an optibay and then take out the SuperDrive to replace it with the SSD. That way you would have storage and speed on the computer.

4. mytoki macrumors member

I also have a question on SSD. I have a 128 GB SSD, now with 100 GB left.

I'd like to install Windows 7 and am wondering how much space to partition for it and also if there is a required minimum amount of space before there is a degradation in performance?

Thanks!

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You'll want to keep about ~20% of the SSD free.

6. owlbabu thread starter macrumors member

7. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

Search around the net. MacPerformance Guide, Anandtech, PC Perspectives all have 100s of pages of detailed SSD reviews, benchmarks and recommendations.

The best way to do it is to buy the largest SSD you can afford. If you are on a budget and do not use your superdrive consistently then I would get an SSD 80GB or larger for your boot drive and put a nice fast 7200 RPM in the optibay.

Your other option would be to get one SSD and when you can afford it, put another in the superdrive slot. Two SSDs in RAID0 can bring you write and read speeds over 400MB/s!

Read up, take your time and then pull the trigger. Right now the drives based on the Sansforce chipset are the leaders while Intel gets it production moving on their new drives based on the new 32nm process. Check out OCZ, OWC and Patriot for Sansforce SSDs.

I have several Intel X25 and they are still working great. One was just handed down to my daughter. I also use the OWC Mercury Extreme SSDs and love them!

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I would recommend this option as well. This way you can keep your existing SSD and get another HD (up to 1TB) for your data.

9. mytoki macrumors member

I just installed Windows 7 via bootcamp last night on my 128GB SSD. It was easy as pie. I put 16 GB on the Win 7 partition and after installation I had about 4 GB left. So you should think about how much space you'll need for programs before making the Win 7 partition.

I followed this manual if you need help:
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf

If you can afford an SSD, I would definitely get one. I just got my MBP 13" w/ SSD last week and everything is so snappy! Boot up is so fast it seems like it's just waking up from sleep mode! Although I'm comparing this to my work Dell laptop which is so friggen slow, I'm sure any new laptop would seem fast to me.:D