SSD and 2TB Drives - where do people put their data?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gopherhockey, Aug 6, 2011.

1. gopherhockey, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

gopherhockey macrumors regular

gopherhockey

I just got a 2011 iMac with the SSD and 2TB drive option. I know that the OS and Apps should run from the SSD, but what I'm curious is what to move to the 2TB drive and how best to do it.

I imagine the user information mostly belongs on the 2TB drive as thats where the bulk of data will be stored. Do people move their entire user directory or create mount points and move things like "Downloads" and "Documents"?

Curious about best practices. What I don't want is confusion not knowing which user directory things are at, and apps that need to save data to default user directories throwing things where I don't want them if I forget to change them.

I've seen a lot of posts and blogs about just moving your whole users drive. Then I've seen others that use symbolic links so you can keep the speed of the SSD for some apps such as iTunes or MIcrosoft User Data (Office 2011). This seems wise, but messy.

2. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Easy

Osx & apps on ssd

Everything else (user folder) on big hard drive.

Main benefit of ssd is booting and opening/closing programs

Loading & copying files off the 2tb will be fine especially since you are not booted off it.

3. gopherhockey thread starter macrumors regular

gopherhockey

From another discussion:

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I may be wrong but I doubt there would be any noticable speed difference by keeping the user library folder on the ssd. The files being accessed there are mainly very small indeed, and of course with 2 drives the system can read seperate things on each drive at the same time which improves speed in itself. Just move the whole user folder, nice and clean, and be done with it.