SSD and battery performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipoppy, Mar 5, 2011.

1. ipoppy macrumors 6502

Can anyone tell me if SSD drive is better for battery performance since there is no moving parts etc. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks

2. TomCondon macrumors regular

very slightly I think

3. Kauai macrumors 6502a

SSDs and HDDs use about the same amount of power. While a HDD technically uses more power, it also has the ability to control when that power is necessary. An SSD never turns off. It all balances out to about the same.

4. ipoppy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.
    I got latest 13" MBA which is primely for my wife but I need something much pro like latest MBP. Also I need good battery performance since I travel a lot and thought SSD will do that.
    By the way I can't understand why apple just can't get rid off optical drives in MBP as they did in MBA. The last time when I have used it was 2010. That space could be used for anything more useful.

5. Ahmahzahn macrumors member

Ssd helps a little, from what I read. No sources though, sorry.
    As for the odd removal, have no worries my friend, j. Ive tod me that the early 2012, will have them removed. And if not that one then the next one, and if not that ... Ad infinum. :) seriously though, can't wait until they remove it, or give the option to.
    /hijack

6. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Go to Storage Reviews and check out the power consumption for yourself.

7. fullfathom macrumors newbie

I understand SSDs should (theoretically) have a lower power consumption or come out the same as a regular HD, but has anyone gotten much higher power consumption? I swapped my HD out for a Vertex 2 SSD a few days ago. Now my computer is now running around 5 C hotter and my battery life has gone down by about 2 hours. Is this normal, or does it seem like an issue with the SSD?