SSD and Battery Upgrade Questions for Early 2009 MacBook Pro 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Photography, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Photography, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015

Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I'm looking to extend the life of my early 2009 MacBook Pro 17", and had a question about upgrading the SSD and battery.

I've narrowed it down to the following four SSDs, and would appreciate any recommendation as to the best out of these:

1. Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    2. Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
    3. Crucial MX100 512GB
    4. Crucial M500 960GB

Are all four of the above SSDs compatible with the early 2009 MacBook Pro 17"?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation as to the best battery replacement for the early 2009 MacBook Pro 17" (mine has suffered a swollen battery)? I'm looking at potentially getting this NewerTech NuPower 103 watt-hour battery from OWC, but would appreciate any input as to the reliability of it over time. If anyone knows of a better battery replacement for the early 2009 MacBook Pro 17", please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

All the SSDs listed will work fine. You won't get the maximum speed since your MBP only supports SATA II. It will still be about 3x faster than your existing drive. I went with the Samsung in my MBP and my wife's imac and we have been happy with them. You can't go wrong with any of them listed.

Can't comment about the battery as I've never replaced mine.