SSD and Caviar Green Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nape Dog, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Nape Dog macrumors newbie

Evening all
    My first post on here so please go easy on me. I recently bought a second hand 2010 21.5 iMac 3.06 i3. It has the standard WD 500GB Caviar Blue drive in it and I am looking to both expand storage and increase general performance (I have already upped the RAM to 12GB).

I have bought a Vertex 2E SATA II Solid state drive 120gb which i am planning on running the OS and Apps etc. I am uncertain whether to replace the Superdrive with this or try to install under the Superdrive.

I also have a WD Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS) which i planned on replacing the WD Blue with to store data. My concern with this is whether the drive will be too loud. The iMac is in my bedroom and i can already hear a faint hum at night so don't want the noise to increase.

I also have 2TB and 1TB Caviar green drives which i could use as the storage. I am aware that these are quieter but also slower than the Blue/Black drives.

My questions are:

1 - If i am happy to lose the Superdrive, is the a benefit to the extra hassle of installing the SSD underneath it and keeping it? I think i read that the SSD will run at the same speed whether through the Superdrives SATA connection or through the extra SATA connection I'd have to add.

2 - If the mechanical HDD is being used solely for storage, will there be a significant difference in performance whether the Green or Black drive is used on the basis that the SSD will be doing the harder work?

I have looked through the forum to see if these questions have been asked and i think i am correct on the first question (just looking for extra reassurance) but i am not so sure on the second so any advice/info which you can give I'd be grateful for.
    Many thanks

2. Nape Dog thread starter macrumors newbie