SSD and Constant Fan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrpcj61, Apr 1, 2018.

1. mrpcj61 macrumors newbie

Just upgraded Macbook Pro Early 2011 with a Sandisk Ultra SSD -- and now the fan runs constantly. Was not a problem before. Is there a connection>

2. zmon macrumors regular

zmon

Have you tried clearing the SMC? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

If that doesn't work, open it back up and check all your connections. If you migrated/cloned your old drive to the new ssd, you may just have to reformat the ssd and start fresh. Could also be a dead sensor, which may just be a coincidence that it happened right after upgrading the drive.

3. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

4. Papanate macrumors 6502

Papanate

I had this problem with my Mid 2011 MacBook Pro as well - after a OWC SSD upgrade.
    Apple never could solve it - I resorted to using an App called SSD Fan Control - that app
    allowed me to control the fan speed - and showed me the temperatures - so I would know
    when to let the fans crank. I have had it for a year - and the MBP runs cool and quiet.

5. Ries macrumors 68020

There is some initial indexing, let it run an hour and see if it finishes. Might also be encryption. Check activity manager for which process is using the CPU.

6. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

Another good app is Macs Fan Control. You can set up your cooling from there. It could be that the Mac is trying to get a temperature reading from the hard drive and isn't getting one, so it is running the fans as a protective measure.