SSD (and dead flies) in Late 2012 15inch iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by leglessmatt, Dec 11, 2015.

1. leglessmatt macrumors newbie

Hi All,

First post by long time reader :)

Im looking to upgrade a family member's 'late 2012' iMac (27inch) with an SSD...

It currently has a 1tb hdd, non fusion (against my recommendations!).

I've done the research, but cannot figure out if I'll need the thermal sensor cable in this model, or if this is only required in older/newer macs...

Also, some tiny flies of some sort have got stuck beneath the screen, is it possible to clean these off when the screen has been removed?

Anyone have any other tips? I've seen the ifixit videos/photos, but if anyone has anything extra I'm all ears.

Cheers,
    Matt

2. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

I had a bug die in my 2013 screen as well. I will be having a Certified Mac repair guy installing an SSD into it in a week and he's going to remove the bug as well. You should look for one in your area.

3. leglessmatt thread starter macrumors newbie

doh! they must get in via the ventilation holes and be attracted by the bright lights (or my awesome wallpaper ;-) ).

I seem to be installing SSDs in everything at the moment so wouldn't mind having a go myself, just checking i have all the parts before I crack it open and realise Im missing a part.

Enjoy your 'cleaner' screen and ssd.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

The 2012 iMac will have USB3, if I'm not mistaken.

The fastest, easiest and perhaps cheapest way to add an SSD is to leave the 1tb HDD right where it is now, and plug in an SSD via USB3.

You'll see boot/run speeds that are the near-equal of an internally-mounted SSD. Probably within 80% or so.

Of course, you will have the [small] external USB3 enclosure to deal with. Some folks just velcro the SSD to the back of the iMac's stand, out of the way.

You can buy either a "bare" SSD and a USB3 enclosure (you want one that is specifically-stated to have "UASP Support"), or, lately I've seen "ready-to-use" external SSDs that are very reasonably priced, such as this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZTRY532?tag=delt-20

A word about capacity:
    You don't really need an SSD larger than 240gb or so unless you want to spend more $$$.
    240gb will hold the OS, apps, basic home folders, and have plenty of "room to spare" for cache files, swapping, etc.

If your family member's libraries of movies, music, and pictures are large, just leave them on the internal HDD, and access them from there.

Try the above approach, and I predict that both you and your family member will be VERY satisfied with the results...!

5. leglessmatt thread starter macrumors newbie

@Fishrrman great idea! never thought of that before - I've alreadt brought the Samsung 850 Evo 250gb as that seemed to be the best value/capacity ratio.

I suppose a time machine restore would work as usual to the external drive, then I just wipe the existing internal drive?

Any tips on usb3 ssd enclosures?

cheers.
    Matt