SSD and Gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ninjaslim, Sep 22, 2010.

1. ninjaslim macrumors member

Hi guys! I'm looking to improve my gaming performance. I run The Sims 3, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half-Life 2 and a few other games natively on my MacBook Pro 13". By no I means do I care for getting unrealistically high performance, but I would like to know how an SSD would effect gaming performance. Would it give a notable increase in terms of FPS? or responsive?

2. waiwai macrumors regular

SSD will not affect your FPS. It will affect your boot/load times into game.

3. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

It's your graphics card an RAM that effect things like fps. An SDD would most likely just help your game load faster.

4. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

I play TF2/SCII on my 13" Pro with SSD and the performance is not great at all. I have a high-end Alienware gaming system so it's not a huge deal but I wouldn't look at upgrading to SSD as the right investment for improved performance. Games will load slightly faster, that is all. Honestly, I think the computer can handle the games just fine but the graphics drivers are significantly behind as compared to Windows. Try Bootcamp and you will notice an improvement.

5. ninjaslim thread starter macrumors member

6. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

7. ninjaslim thread starter macrumors member

I load stuff off to my external which is 500GB.