Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ctsvnino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Jersey
So I have a late 2012 mini with Yosemite os with 8gb memory and 1 tb hdd. So I purchased Samsung 256 ssd and dual drive kit from ifixit. On my Mac I have word quick note and windows parallel. So the question is can I have the ssd as os system and rest of files on my hdd? Like a fusion drive? I only used 60gb of the drive of my Mac currently.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
So I have a late 2012 mini with Yosemite os with 8gb memory and 1 tb hdd. So I purchased Samsung 256 ssd and dual drive kit from ifixit. On my Mac I have word quick note and windows parallel. So the question is can I have the ssd as os system and rest of files on my hdd? Like a fusion drive? I only used 60gb of the drive of my Mac currently.
Hi, I'm thinking of doing the same thing, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how you go, I have the 2012 model with 4GB ram.

Yesterday I put the trial version of Parallels on it but it runs so slow it's hardly worth turning on. How does it run on yours and have you always had 8GB or did you upgrade later.

I like the idea of Parallels so hoping to get this thing running a bit better. I forgot to ask, what version of Windows are you running, I'm running 8.1 and I'm running it through Bootcamp back to parallels, or vice versa.

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

You can actually build a Fusion drive with any SSD and the built in hard drive. There are many threads on how to do so. However, YES you can have your OS and Applications on the SSD and your personal files on the hard drive. It takes a bit of organization on your part, but I've had my Mini set up this way for years. All of my media (movies, music, etc.) are on the hard drive that came with it and all of my OS and applications are on my SSD.

Ctsvnino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Jersey
Hi, I'm thinking of doing the same thing, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how you go, I have the 2012 model with 4GB ram.

Yesterday I put the trial version of Parallels on it but it runs so slow it's hardly worth turning on. How does it run on yours and have you always had 8GB or did you upgrade later.

I like the idea of Parallels so hoping to get this thing running a bit better. I forgot to ask, what version of Windows are you running, I'm running 8.1 and I'm running it through Bootcamp back to parallels, or vice versa.

I have parallels trial also with windows 7 with 8gb runs ok not fast but does the job I need too.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Okay, up and running with 8 gig, definitely a lot faster, and gave Windows 4 gig. Still not the fastest but a lot better, if I need speed I can always boot into Bootcamp.
Now I'll start playing around with Ubuntu and Chrome.

Ctsvnino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Jersey
Ps hold I just back up my windows 7 because I have programs on it and have a partition on my ssd with OS X and windows? Or have a clean OS X on ssd and and reinstall windows that I have back up on hdd? I'm so confused and worried about doing this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.