SSD and HDD in macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uberamd, Jun 12, 2009.

1. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I am thinking about adding a second drive, a SSD, in my Macbook Pro. I would remove the optical drive that's never used, and place it in that slot. Ideally, I would install leopard to that drive so it boots off of it, then place commonly used apps like Word, Xcode, Safari, etc on it. I would use my second drive for file storage, and the rest of my apps.

My question is about management. How hard is it to manage having Applications in two folders, vs the traditional /Applications/ place? If I have most of my Applications in /Volumes/Mac_500GB/Applications/ and commonly used one in /Applications/, will that cause any unforeseen issues? Is there anyone here who does this? I ask because I want to have SSD for increased access speed, however I don't want to fork over billions and quadrillions of dollars for a large drive. I was thinking of sticking with a 64GB SSD, and then the 500GB 5200RPM drive as the storage hanger.

Thoughts?

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Shouldn't be a problem.

And, for the big applications you don't want on the SSD, you can just place an alias on the SSD's apps folder so the OS thinks they are there, but the space is taken up on the HDD. You don't get the speed benefit on those apps, but you knew that.