Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtdyer01

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I've just got my Mac.

I can't seem to find the answer to this. but...

I have a 128GB SSD where OSX is installed and all the applications, iLife, CS6, Final Cut Pro X, MS Office etc.
And a 1TB HDD.

Now the 128GB SSD is almost full. Step by Step can someone help me and tell me how can I transfer the least used programs/applications to 1TB HDD, so I can free up the SSD.

I tried just copying the program from the Applications Folder to the HDD, but that created what I thought was a duplicate. I then deleted the App from the application folder and tested the copy on the HDD. However it seems that it only copied a link to the SSD and not a full transfer

Sorry I'm new to this

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
To keep things in order as far as your system is concerned, pick apps that you don't use a lot or aren't dependent on the ssd for performance like iLife and Office. Uninstall these from the ssd and reinstall choosing the HDD as the destination. This should work, but don't try it unless you have a full backup of the entire ssd.

Dale

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

I'm not sure all apps can live outside the Applications folder. Make sure it works before deleting anything (that's a genal rule).

Also, most people move their Home folder out of the SSD, instead of splitting the apps. Step by Step guides are available on the web and even in these fora. I even made one last year I think.

Loa

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I did what Loa recommended (move the home folder instead of splitting apps). I think that's what most people do.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
I've just got my Mac.

I can't seem to find the answer to this. but...

I have a 128GB SSD where OSX is installed and all the applications, iLife, CS6, Final Cut Pro X, MS Office etc.
And a 1TB HDD.

Now the 128GB SSD is almost full. Step by Step can someone help me and tell me how can I transfer the least used programs/applications to 1TB HDD, so I can free up the SSD.

I tried just copying the program from the Applications Folder to the HDD, but that created what I thought was a duplicate. I then deleted the App from the application folder and tested the copy on the HDD. However it seems that it only copied a link to the SSD and not a full transfer

Sorry I'm new to this

You may want to simply move your data, not your applications. You can copy your iPhoto library and Documents to your HDD, then delete this data from your boot drive. I keep my Mail data on my boot drive, but all other data resides on separate drives. For example, my iPhoto library is over 60GB. That would fill a small SSD up quick!

Also, point your Safari downloads to a drive other than your SSD. This can be done in Safari preferences.

Please make sure you have a backup of everything on another device or two as well! Run Time Machine, and consider keeping a clone of your start up drive for quick restoration if necessary.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
It helps to keep your entire ~/Library directory on the SSD as well due to app support files (which will include Apple Mail.app data). I have all my stuff symlinked not alias'd and not moved in System Prefs. Speed is improved. Slightly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.