SSD and Optibay questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MathiasMM, Mar 7, 2011.

1. MathiasMM macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have received a knockoff optibay for my 64 gb SSD.
    I want to continue to use the HDD as my drive for storage and use the SSD for apps and OS X and so on.
    Would it be better to have the SSD in the optibay or the original hard drive slot? I'm mostly thinking of problems booting from the disk and secondly about the sudden motion protection - I suppose that only works for the HDD slot, in which case having the hard disk there would be preferable?

Also, is it possible to install Boot Camp on the HDD, even though i boot OS X from the SSD? 64 Gb is way too small for both, I think..

Thanks in advance!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you plan on installing Windows to the HD, then keep it in the HD slot as I've heard there can be issues with Boot Camp if the target volume is in the ODD bay.

3. MathiasMM thread starter macrumors newbie

Right.. And there's no problem booting windows from a different drive than the booting one? Or booting from the drive in the ODD?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've heard there are issues if you try to boot it from the drive in the ODD. It shouldn't matter is it in the same disk as OS X though.

5. MathiasMM thread starter macrumors newbie

And OS X boots fine from the ODD? Then i think that sounds like the best solution..

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Haven't heard any issues about that. OS X isn't as picky as Windows, which can't even be installed into an external HD.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

8. MathiasMM thread starter macrumors newbie