SSD and what better?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cancaro, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Cancaro macrumors member

Cancaro

Hi all, I would buy a 128 GB SSD to install on my MacPro, and I wonder if 128 GB is sufficient, I installarci Yosemite and applications like Premiere Pro, and FCPX plug-ins as well as some FX Factory, a mac-pro I will use only for video editing so it will install many applications but only the most important.

All video and audio files put them in another sata HD 1TB.

Some say it's better a 250 gb ssd because costs little more, but I would prefer a 128 gb ssd, I think it is enough, after all now in my sata HD I installed about 14 gb of applications and are in place, then with 128 gb would quietly comfortable, what do you recommend ??
    Am I right or am I wrong?

Thanks.

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

If you're using under 50GB on your current internal HD, and you don't anticipate a change in how you use your MacBook, then a 128GB SSD is plenty.

3. Cancaro thread starter macrumors member

Cancaro

4. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

A 256GB SSD is technically the best bang for your buck. The way SSDs are structured makes higher capacity drives faster, so you are paying for speed as well as space. 256GB drives can write up to 2x as fast as 128GB drives. Most consumer grade 128GB drives go for 70$, and equivalent 256GB drives go for 110$. Unless you are really tight on money, the 256GB drive is the best purchase.

A 128GB will absolutely fit your needs, so don't stress about it too much if you are trying to save. If you are going for an 850 pro or any other professional SSD the speed gap is less noticeable, but if you are getting an 840 evo or an MX100, 256GB is your best bet.

Matt

5. Cancaro thread starter macrumors member

Cancaro