SSD Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by efedor, Jan 30, 2009.

1. efedor macrumors regular

I've been hovering over this site to see if anyone has input on any ssd that work on the leopard&windows xp platform and I have read that there are not too many that are capable of doing this. Is there a brand of ssd that will work with both? I've got my eye on a transcend 128gb for 300dls. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks

2. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

From what I read, this one should be a killer:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231243
    But if you can, wait a bit because Samsung is coming out with a even better 256 GB one, which should rival the Intel one, just with way more space.

3. CTechKid macrumors regular

If you're looking to buy an SSD 'TODAY' and don't have the cash for the intel drive, I would strongly suggest the 128GB Corsair offering. Everything else in the segment is poor IMO. (my input only extends to drives currently available on the market through normal retail means.)

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I just ordered this one yesterday for my Macbook Pro - VERY excited!!!!
    The new G. Skill Titans are extremely fast. They have an internal RAID controller built in so they are almost as fast as the Intel's.

5. speedy523 macrumors newbie

2nd that ;)

I'd say if you have the extra money, and want the extra space, wait for the Samsung SSD since its read speed is supposed to be only a little bit slower than intels fastest (~20 MB/s less at 230 MB/s) and i believe its write speed is going to be the fastest of all SSDs at 200MB/s.

6. abrictech macrumors newbie

You may consider PhotoFast G-Monster series (read/write speeds):
    - V1: 170/100 MB/s
    - V2: 230/160 MB/s
    - V3: 260/170 MB/s

All SATA-I/II ready. G-Monster V1 in Macbook review here.

7. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I never heard of PhotoFast. Are these rebadges drives from another manufacturer?

8. 123free macrumors member

I am using a 128G G.skill Titan with my 17" UMBP right now. It is fast & good. Just make sure you install OSX with a USB... then, insert it to your MB... OSX DVD can not recognize it.

9. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I went with the Corsair 128 SSD since it's the same one Apple uses (I figure they are smart enough to pick the best balance of performance/features/reliabiility for their own products). The Intel is the fastest but has problems with bootcamp and I needed bootcamp but otherwise Intel would have been my first choice. The Titan/Apex I stayed away from since it has JMicron controllers and seems to reduce battery life but for price/GB the 256 gig model currently can't be beat. Also people haven't reported stuttering on OSX with it which is a good sign even though there are reports of stuttering under Windows.

Anyway I'm happy with my Corsair. Apps load practically instantly and it makes no sounds, no vibrations, and runs cool. No stuttering at all in OSX or Windows bootcamp. Battery life went up and I'm seeing numbers even the Unibody Macbook Pro 17 inch owners would love at 7 hours! Check the screenshot.

Attached Files: