SSD: Apple vs. Third-Party

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grimmeh, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Grimmeh macrumors member

OK, so I'm planning on getting a MacBook Pro (13 inch) and I'm wondering about how fast Apple's SSDs are versus third-party SSDs, and weather it would be worth getting the MacBook Pro with the cheapest HDD and then getting an SSD from, say, Newegg? I figure if I got the SSD from Apple, it'd be covered by the warranty, so it's safer, you could say.

Likewise with RAM. Is it worth getting the 4 GB of RAM from Apple or third party?I'm leanign towards just getting it all from Apple.

2. shadow1 macrumors member

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

We still have not a good solid firmware to make use of the faster speed of the sata II bus on the macbook pro 13". It was downgraded to sata I at release. I think this will be mended in the near future with a more stable firmware but as it stands now you will not see much speed difference from faster ssd against slower ssd.

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

This problem was fixed with a firmware update. I don't really know the difference between an Apple SSD or a 3rd party SSD, but if you don't feel like upgrading it yourself, I think the Apple SSD is fine.

5. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

No it was not. It is still not a stable firmware. Hence the mega 1.7 firmware threads here in the forum and at apple support discussions.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple doesn't actually make the SSD, so you are paying more for the warranty -> figure out if it's worth it versus whatever warranty NewEgg will give you.

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

So the firmware update didn't fix all Macbook Pros sata bus? weird.

8. Grimmeh thread starter macrumors member

What about quality of the SSD? How fast are the read and write times of Apple's SSD? Both from tests and manufacturer's advertised speeds.

I'm not looking for a high capacity, as 128 GB is plenty for my uses. However, if I'm paying for faster storage, I'd like the best I can get for my buck.

Also,I noticed looking at Newegg's SSDs, as the capacities went up, max. read and write speeds went up, too (along with prices :rolleyes:). Is there any connection? Is there any befit, in performance, with larger capacity SSDs, as with HDDs? I didn't think so at first, but I don't know, coincidence?

9. youpey macrumors member

unless you buy ssd as a made to order when buying your mac, you cant get ssd from apple. i tried and and tried. finally the only way i found was to get a certified repair place to get a me a quote and it was $1000 for a 128gb

10. OnlyAntonio macrumors newbie

This was the xBench of a MBP 13" 2.26 with a Apple CTO Toshiba 128GB SSD after Apple issued the Firmware fix to 3.0 SATA. I sold it to get the faster Intel drive. I've waited all week for a rumored new Intel SSD, but nothing. Confirmation of no new SSD I think was the rise of the 160 Intel SSD price from $619 to $700+. Plus I wanted the fastest machine 2.53, so I'm gonna "pull the trigger" on that and get the Intel 80GB SSD for $300+. I also had the same same idea as you thinking that the hard drive will be safely under warranty and in compliance with Apple's no support, but I want the faster SSD for the money even if I have to compromise space (I'm gonna work that out with my Time Capsule). Intel is unanimously the best SSD in forums and issues are rare. Hope this helps! Mac On!

Attached Files:

11. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Not to make your waiting time even more 'miserable', but...

The Intel SSD rumors said 'in 2 weeks' which was about 11 days ago, so not 2 weeks yet.
    If I were you I'd give it until end of next week.

Also a rise in price could mean that current supplies are getting low, which could indicate new products coming soon...

12. harcosparky macrumors 68020

As I read the threads noted above ......

1) Apple released new MBP with Sata I
    2) People installed 3rd party SSD's but complained about the Sata I bus issue.
    3) Apple released Firmware 1.7 Update to Sata II and warned that 3rd party drives not supported.
    4) People with 3rd party SSD's installed the 1.7 Firmware Update and suddenly were have issues with 3rd party SSD's not working

All I know from what I read is we will NOT be doing that firmware update !!!!

13. hashholly macrumors 6502

I can tell you that i had a 320gb 7200rpm 3rd party drive, upgraded to 1.7 firmware and the drive worked without issue, i just swapped in an Intel X-25 SSD and it is working flawlessly.

14. marcip3 macrumors newbie

i have a 13" mbp with a built-in 128gb toshiba ssd and i am totally happy with it. but i haven't made the efi-firmware yet...

marcip3

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you go by the benchmarks posted on Geekbench the OEM Apple SSD is dog slow. I installed a Corsair P128 SSD in my 13" MBP. I've been using it for a couple weeks now. I hate my computers w/ hard drives now. The Corsair is wicked fast (but not as fast as an Intel of course, but I prefered the extra GBs to the faster speed. The P128 is plenty fast). No probs with the firmware update at all.

16. emt1 macrumors 65816

Check out the link in my signature.

17. Grimmeh thread starter macrumors member

That chart is greatly useful, but does not make choosing any easier, especially since some third party SSDs seem to be causing trouble with the firmware update. :p I'm thinking of just sticking with the standard 128 GB SSD from Apple, just to make my life easier, though the 128 GB G.Skill Falcon seems like a real good deal. It's faster in max. read an write, and cheaper than Apple's.

I figure, if anything, I can always sell the standard SSD later and upgrade to a better one down the line.

Besides, any SSD is still better than a top-of-the-line HDD. All I'm really looking for is faster boots and startups, it won't be anything too intensive (unless I start using some aerodynamics and thermodyanmics testing software, which is a possibility).

I'm more confused than ever now. :confused:

18. Dreamail macrumors 6502

New Intel SSDs

The plot finally seems to thicken regarding new Intel SSDs.

There's some new evidence via Hardmac.com.

According to the aggregation site mentioned in above link, a new 'Intel Postville 160GB SSD" will be available from 07/24/2009.

There is also mention of a new "Intel Postville 320GB SSD", but no date yet.

19. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

It makes more sense to go with a HDD and wait to upgrade later. The way the SSD tech evolves with new controllers and capacities every month and given apple is pretty conservative about its hardware choises, I think the OEM SSD's in the second hand market will be kinda worthless.