SSD backup question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brenden, May 3, 2010.

1. brenden macrumors regular

brenden

I just dropped a 256gb SSD in my 13" macbook pro. When i had a normal HDD i used a portable external and did backups weekly. Do you think its still a wise idea to do backups with an SSD or are they safe enough that its pretty much redundant?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Hardware can fail, so a backup is always a wise choice.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

SSDs ain't immortal so ALWAYS backup you data. It can be a lemon plus there is no real word statistics of SSDs' life

4. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Is this question really being asked? Always backup the data ;-) Even redundant configurations should back up the data.

Why? Because not having a backup means not being able to recover from "your" #@)(*$)@#$)(#$*) moment. I used quotes as I didn't want to accuse any particular person of having one of those moments.

Time machine makes the process quite easy. Between that and the low cost of drives, it's only a fool and his data that are soon parted.

Are there better backup solutions out there? Undoubtedly -- but it works well for its intended task.

5. brenden thread starter macrumors regular

brenden

I always backup my real important stuff on the cloud. i was more or less referring to "full system" backups that time machine does (i should have been more specific). I know the reliability of SSD's are quite high.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Time Machine is so easy so I don't see why you wouldn't. SSDs are theoretically very reliable but the tech is still very young and there are no real world information about reliability and life, only some expectancies.