SSD Battery Calibration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by googdot, Oct 2, 2010.

1. googdot macrumors regular

I've got my SSD in an optibay and am using it as my boot drive. As such, I've disabled hibernation on my MBP.

I am wondering about battery calibration, as you need to drain the battery down fully and have the MBP enter the hibernation state to properly calibrate the battery.

Can I use my backup drive to accomplish this? I mean, can I simply boot from my backup drive once every few months, go through the normal battery calibration process, and then reset the startup disk back to my SSD afterwards.

Anybody know if this work? Will I need to manually change the sleep mode in terminal each time?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Huh?

I could get into a really really long explanation about safe sleep and hibernation vs sleep and voltage supplied to ram and a whole bunch of other stuff, but that's boring.

You'll be fine using your current ssd. Just make sure as per most instructions, you close out any important files before your machine goes to sleep due to low battery, since the machine will lose complete power after the 5-hour obligitory waiting period and your session will be lost.

3. The General macrumors 601

Put the SSD in the hard drive bay and the HDD in the optibay, then you won't have to worry about it because you'll have normal sleep mode.

Although I hardly see how not being able to sleep your laptop has any effect on battery calibration.

4. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

That's how I setup my 15" MBP and SSD. Sleep works perfecto.

cheers
    JohnG

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Well, yes...unless you have one of those 1 TB drives that don't fit in the optibay.

6. googdot thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the clarification...I think the different states of sleep were mixing me all up! :)

Or if your drive doesn't have a built in shock sensor and you need to rely on the MBP's SMS.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Battery calibration has nothing to do with the kind of drive you have. Calibration does not require hibernation. It requires draining the battery fully, until it either sleeps or powers off. This will happen, no matter what HD or SSD you have.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ