SSD & Beach Ball

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjprusk, Dec 15, 2009.

1. jjprusk macrumors member

After having installed an Intel SSD in my Macbook Pro a while back I get the "beach ball" often. The system is very quick launching apps, etc. but will often stall when accessing files showing the beach ball. Has anyone else seen this? Is there something that can be done to figure out what's happening?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What SSD is it? How full is it? Where are the apps at that you are launching? How long ago did you put everything on your SSD? Remember, when you start loading things an SSD can start to slow down then level out in time as it starts to figure out how to handle all of the new data.

Mine has beach-balled on a MP when I was accessing files from another internal drive. It has also beach-balled while waiting for mail to send. I considered these two flukes until I realized I had not transferred some DVD rips to another drive and the SSD was 85% full.

3. jjprusk thread starter macrumors member

It is an Intel 160GB SSD, with 74GB (46%) used and 86GB (54%) available. Its been approx. 2 months since I installed the SSD and the "beach ball" has been happening since day 1, but seems to be worse lately.

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Have you done a fresh install of the OS?
    And have you done the Apple performance update?

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Was it a fresh install? Or an update? Might want to reput on the OS.

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Fresh install, clean install, call it like you want. Just a new installation of the system on the new hard-drive.

7. jjprusk thread starter macrumors member

SSD & Beach Ball - fresh install??

I did not do a fresh install. Does this really make that much of a difference? Does anyone know why it makes a difference (you would think it wouldn't matter).

8. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Just Checking..

Could you confirm that you Have or Have Not done these things :

_ Disable Sudden Motion Sensor
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1934

_ Un-check "Put the Hard Disk to sleep when possible", under Energy Saver in System Preferences.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Having done it a few times, i'd say yes. If you can, it's useful
    - You know you've got no cruft or unneeded files at the start, you can get the machine ready at the bar bones, no other programs, just fully updated, and see what happens.
    - It'll force you to think about what programs you add on (and you'll see how performance changes as you add them)
    - You'll think about how much data you need on drive vs external drives/ how much drive you leave free.
    - Will mean you get updates to all programs more likely

Not an exact science, but having gone through a handful of MBP's this summer, i'd recommend it.

10. jjprusk thread starter macrumors member

Just performed both of these changes as I had not done them before. I can understand how they're not needed, but also don't see how they would affect my systems as the "beach ball" happens when the unit is just sitting on the table.

11. danbt79 macrumors member

danbt79

Do you have any external drives plugged in?

I have the exact asme SSD and it's very. very fast with no beach balling.

However, when I have it on my desk with my external hard drive attached, then every time I access a finder file dialog there's a pause as the external drive spins up (if it's spun down).

Is this what you're seeing?

12. mcruzader macrumors regular

Yeah go with what the others have stated previously, backup all of your data, repartition the harddrive to GUID and do a fresh install. Let us know how it goes.