SSD Benchmarks/Buying Advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roliath, Dec 10, 2009.

1. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

So I have had my umbp for around 4 months, I upgraded to a WD Blue 500gb shortly after purchasing it; and now I feel like the next step is to go with an SSD. I notice quite a few slow downs while working mainly related to disk access speeds. However, the main thing holding me back right now are my space concerns.

I usually keep everything on my 1tb external drive, and should I need to take some files on the go I have an extra 320gb (the original 320gb drive) that I could use.

I use my mbp for everything, and find myself using this more than my other rig (specs in sig). The main important things are my small bootcamp partition that I use for the occasional gaming sessions which I don't use that often but I don't feel comfortable getting rid of it completely. I also have a few VM's within Fusion which also host my XP vm that I use daily for VPN/pptp use.

Anyhoo, what i'm concerned about is if I would be able to make due with an Intel 160GB SSD (G2) or if I should save up a bit more and purchase an OCZ Vertex 250gb. Those with either one, could you post some xbench results and could you post how you partitioned the drive?

I have SSD's in my main desktop, so I know the pro's and con's (with windows 7) and what the differences are between the controllers. I'm familiar with the Intel SSD's, and I run a Vertex in another workstation I have so I know what it can do. However I'm not sure what the performance would look like within OSX and VM usage.

Thanks in Advance!

2. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Doubt you would see much of a difference in actual use. The big upside is if you want to use bootcamp to play games. A switch from OS X to Windows takes about 30 seconds for me. Moving big files is way faster, unraring and such too. Starting up either OS is crazy quick, you basically no longer have to use sleep mode. I boot OS X from complete off to firefox opening and everything being completely loaded in 16 seconds. And the noiselevel went down too.

I run the Intel 160 GB drive and since I also use an external drive for the actual storage of all my media and stuff I have no space problem. I have a 32 GB (max what FAT32 does) partion for win XP. And with stuff installed and some media still on my computer I got 80 GB left.

My tip is you seeing how much space you need to be comfortable. If you can manage with having 20-30 GB free space with all u want on a 160 GB, then go for that. If you cannot, go for the 256 GB vertex.

3. roliath thread starter macrumors regular

roliath

Well, the more I thought about it. I could get by with a VM since I'm not really gaming in Windows 7 (except for wow, which I can just run mac client).

Trim from what I can see is not supported in OSX, so i'm going to look for an Intel 160GB g1, if I can get a g2 for a good price i'll pick that up instead.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You are correct at the moment OSX does not support the TRIM feature for SSDs

5. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Since SSD is an option for the Macbook Air / Pro line, when does one suppose it will be supported? I know a new build seed for 6.3 has been sent out to developers, so any rumors on that? Also, is my case, the 160 Intel is being used for boot, not storage, how does that affect use w/o trim?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're asking me to read into the future. I have no idea when apple will decide to include that. I'm sure apple is actively updating OSX right now but I'm not part of the developer network so I have no idea when they send out seed.

7. roliath thread starter macrumors regular

roliath

well i just ordered a 160gb intel g1, it should arrive next tuesday!
    now I need to figure out whether or not I should do a fresh clean install or, clone my hd and move it over.

I'm leaning towards a fresh clean install, but i'm a bit worried about getting my settings etc.. back to how I like them.

Can I restore pref's from a time machine backup?

8. vant macrumors 65816

Nothing is better than starting from fresh.

Good choice on the x25-m.

9. roliath thread starter macrumors regular

roliath

Yeah after using three of them in my main rig, intel was always my first choice. These mofo's are fast! I have a 4th, however I hit the limit on ICH10r in reads so the 4th is basically a firmware test/scratch/spare drive.

[​IMG]

10. Meever macrumors 6502a

You can always take out the Superdrive and mount your SSD for the speed while keeping the 500gb drive for the storage.

11. roliath thread starter macrumors regular

roliath

i use my superdrive too often to get rid of it. I have two external enclosures though, both esata/usb (rocketfish/nexstar). i'm not too worried now.

my vm's is what i'm more concerned about, but I think I can do without a windows 7 partition in all honest, i'll just have to move some stuff to my xp vm.
    it arrives next tuesday so i'm excited to test it out to say the least!

12. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

WOW, Those are some good numbers :D

13. coast1ja macrumors 6502

I had a 13" with a OCZ vertex 120gb in it and it was SOOO fast compared to the stock drive. Anyone that says you will not notice a difference in normal use is mistaken.

From the push of the power button to fully functional desktop took under 15 seconds. Shutdown took less than three.

VMs start up with the same speed too! I had 64bit Vista Ultimate starting up in 15 seconds as well.

Everything just feels faster. Sure you can look at benchmarks all day long, but you really have no idea how much of a difference it makes until you use one!

I would go for the 250gb OCZ if that is your budget. They are not much slower than the intels, and the added capacity for the price is very nice.

14. roliath thread starter macrumors regular

roliath

Oh yeah, i'm familiar with the speed.
    on my desktop, once the windows bar shows up it takes a good 8 seconds for windows to load. it takes me longer to enter my password than it does to load really.

I already purchased the 160, but my budget was set for the 250. I'll eventually get another intel drive when they expand the size if space becomes an issue for me.

After a little self inventory, 160gb should be enough in all honesty.

I'm excited, another ssd to play with :)

and i'm not sure what happened the pictures, imageshack says no server is available to handle the request? weird.

anyhoo, i'll post up my befores and afters with xbench. since i'm not sure what other hd benchmarks exists for osx.

15. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

I'm thinking of upgrading to a SSD for my macbook, and admittedly I'm not the most technical person when it comes to the technology. I understand trim is not available in OS X, but couldn't you just boot to Windows and run the process whenever you wanted? Or is trim an always on feature?

16. acurafan macrumors 6502a

don't worry about the TRIM OSX support bs, it's still so ridiculously good with any of the SSD's it's well worth the $$ of admission (if you can afford it)!!

17. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

oh I'm getting one regardless...was just curious since i haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, which much means it's probably not that simple :p

18. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

I have the Vertex 120 GB SSD in my Macbook pro and knock on wood until now it has been trouble free and very quick. I am also running Parallels 5 with Windows 7 32 Bit on there. The difference between the stock HDD and my new SSD is huge.:D Everything just opens when you click on an icon with no waiting time.

19. roliath thread starter macrumors regular

roliath

Doing a fresh install now, i figure i'll be able to restore all my files and settings from a TM backup so I should be backup and running shortly.

20. roliath thread starter macrumors regular

roliath

[​IMG]

Icon's have been restored, once I launched them.

Its been a VERY nice speed boost!

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That last benchmark screenshot is sick. Every number is at least twice as fast as my HDD. The random tests look especially impressive. They aren't worth the price of the drives yet, but that should change over a couple of years.

22. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Depends on what you do, how much your time is worth and if you can claim it as a deduction..:D:apple::D

23. roliath thread starter macrumors regular

roliath

lol
    i agree, ssd's have been the single most best investment for me in my desktop and now my macbook.
    I have an older dell d620, that I use a 64gb kingston v-series ssd which is more of a budget ssd however it performs excellent compared to the busted mechanical drive it replaced.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Well, my time on Facebook isn't worth that much. All the stuff I do with iLife isn't really worth squat. I'll just be glad when SSDs are standard because I know how much of a bottleneck portable hard drives are. The last PC I had used a 7,200 RPM drive, so I miss that extra speed all the time. Don't miss Windows one darn bit.