SSD benefits in an 08 MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Krio, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Krio macrumors member

I gave my old 08 MacBook to my mother in law and its starting to get on her nerves speed wise. She doesn't need a big one: 64 GB would suffice, so it would be relatively cheap. Would an SSD cut the reaction time to make the computer last another couple years or will there be other bottlenecks and I should I start looking for a used sandy bridge powered laptop?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I put an SSD in a 2008 I had and it made a nice usability difference in day to day computing. I think it would be a great upgrade. Particularly for the price of a 64GB SSD. Make sure it has at least 4GB or RAM also. For light surfing like that etc. more than 4GB is probably not needed.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I put one in my 2008 aluminum Macbook and it definitely does make a difference. It mostly removes the annoying pauses when opening apps and files and when waking up from sleep.

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Yeah make sure the RAM isn't the bottleneck. I don't know what your mother in law is doing but mine runs fine. (Though if you only have 2GB and a lack of HDD space available I could see it).

5. Krio thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the replies. I installed the maximum amount of ram it would accept shortly after purchasing it, so that shouldn't be an issue. She just got her first smart phone (ip5), so I think her slowdown is more perceived than anything. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a deal on an ssd in the near future.

6. K0BI macrumors newbie

consider a hybrid drive?

I put a Seagate Momentus XT in my 07 MB and it works great. Boot time is very fast, and I still have lots of storage (500GB). They are also a lot cheaper than a SSD.

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

SSDs are worthwhile in any laptop made after 2005, IMO. Hard drives need to be eradicated as anything other than a medium to dump files onto when they're not being used. They slow down the modern computing experience.

8. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Did an SSD upgrade on our old 2008 Unibody and it was a huge difference in performance.

9. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Yeah, it makes a huge difference. The SSD along with 8GB of ram has made this machine extremely fast for most tasks. I don't see myself replacing it until it dies, though I've entertained selling it in the past I'm just too attached. I don't see many of them around either anymore. I'd recommend just going ahead and maxing the system out, it's not too expensive to do it.