SSD boot drive : recommended brand, setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MCHR, Aug 31, 2010.

1. MCHR macrumors regular

My new MP is finally shipping tomorrow, though I'd like to have an SSD as the boot drive. My current setup is a quick (74GB WD Raptor) boot drive and I'd like to do something similar on the new MP.

What brands would be recommebded? I've heard Crucial, Microsoft and OWC. Not sure how any of these stack up for reliability etc.

Also, when installing, it seems that I'd need to get an 'adapter sled' to fit the smaller 2.5 SSD into the bay designed for a traditional 3.5 (?)

Thanks for any details, advice, performance and pointers

2. strausd macrumors 68030

3. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

And here we go...

Introducing today's all new (with same questions) SSD thread!

Seriously, do a search. Strausd generously offered a wealth of information just yesterday. You can't miss it if you look, honest.

4. strausd macrumors 68030

Haha seriously! I'm really considering just making a big basic information SSD thread and whenever anyone asks about an SSD, just post the link to that.

5. MCHR thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the backhanded comment, friendo. Did a search. Nowhere is there much advice or dialog regarding brands. Crucial, Intel, OWC all make drives. Nobody has chimed in on a comparison, however, and I was curious about any third party comparo (Macworld, berafeats, etc.). Longevity testing? Havent seen that either, but was interested to know more about long-life of the main drive (Had a drive bite the dust recently so I'd rather not re-live that experience).

Have heard Seagate is now a player in SSD, and Crucial increased their lifespan by a factor of 100. Gathering information and prices as I do more research.

Agree the sled topic has been covered before, but thought it was also part of the upgrade route so I asked anyway. Sorry to have bothered your bandwidth with my question.