SSD-Boot time, why not Sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Oi-Oi-Oi, Nov 30, 2010.

?

Do you mainly want SSD goodness for

Poll closed Dec 15, 2010.
  1. I shutdown my Mac all the time. I need FAST boot times man!

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. I BootCamp dude. Booting is part of every day!

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. Sleep my Mac. SSD goodness for general fastness (TM)

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  1. Oi-Oi-Oi macrumors member

Hi all,

so all this talk about SSD's and how much faster the boot times are, made me think of one question:

With the (to me) excellent sleep function of the Mac, why are people still shutting down their Mac's and thus lust after quick boot times?

Are people comparing boot times from a sole benchmarking perspective or are so many of you BootCamping that this is where the SSD really matters to you?

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to safe up for the OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, but I am looking forward to that from App perspective (Aperture).

Cheers,
    Oi

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Performance and general quickness is the only thing that matters in the end, which you didn't even include in your poll.

It simply enhances the user experience when programs start up without delay and you can do everything smoothly.

3. barmann macrumors 6502

Boot times are not a measure of performance, to begin with.

And a Mac can use a reboot now and then like any PC, apart from the energy it still consumes when it's on sleep - or even off.

4. ZenErik macrumors 6502

I got one for performance. And because it's not going to crap out if my laptop ever takes a hard bump. That said, I normally just put my laptop in sleep mode instead of rebooting it all the time. Not that a 10 second boot time is slow, but I just feel no need to constantly shut down my computer.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Booting? Current uptime is 18 days. :D

I boot once every two or three weeks, so I don't care about boot times at all. My Pro doesn't boot that fast anyway, it always takes a minute or so.

It's the general OS speed that is just amazing with a SSD. You really see the difference when you boot from a mechanical drive. I've got a bootable clone on a WD Black and the difference is like day and night.

BTW: What does (TM) in your poll mean?

6. Oi-Oi-Oi thread starter macrumors member

Cool. OK couple things:

My first Poll, so yeah my poll could have been clearer and included options why you got an SSD outside of booting/sleeping. Apologies Pressure!

Secondly, Transporteur the (TM) or Trade Mark was a vain attempt at humour, trade-marking the term 'fastness'. Obviously lost something in the translation there :)

But it's good to see most people go for it for the performance side. The 12GB of RAM made a HUGE difference in Aperture for me. Post processing RAW files in seamless, but I can tell that a faster HDD would also make a considerable difference.

Oi

7. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

I hardly ever shut down my MP or MBP but I do enjoy the speed (performance) of the applications and generally speaking I was spoiled by SSD and can't see me going back to ..........

Garen

8. brentsg macrumors 68030

Honestly I have an SSD for my boot drive, with all my apps there. I upgraded from a 300GB Velociraptor and notice very little difference other than a cold boot.