SSD boot timing prob

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yeoboy, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Yeoboy macrumors newbie

Hi, I put an ssd in my boys macbook pro some time backk,For some reason it takes a minute or so before it boots up,Im getting on in years and will need a detailed idea of what to do if anybody can point me at a possible solution please.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Go to disk utility and change the boot disk to that SSD it'll boot in 0 15 seconds it's still looking for the old disk and takes a while to find the new one.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Is it a white screen with nothing on it for some time before it boots?

If so, you can try reset the PRAM. To do this, turn the Mac off. As soon as you press the power button to turn it back on, press and hold Cmd, Alt, P, R until you hear the Apple boot chime 3 times. Let go.

Alternatively, hold Alt on startup to make the SSD visible. Select it with the arrow keys. Hold the Ctrl key. You will see the icon underneath change. Then press Enter. This will set the default boot device to be the SSD.

If both of these are OK, you can check if the volume is corrupted. Hold Cmd + R on startup to boot into OS X Utilities. Run a disk repair through Disk Utility.

4. Yeoboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, Im just going to check this out,Regards.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you replace a drive you need to go to System Preferences and select the Startup Disk pane then select the new drive as the boot disk. If you do not do that, the system takes time to search around for all available boot sources before finding the SSD.

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 7.25.36 AM.png

6. Yeoboy thread starter macrumors newbie

ppHi Guy's, It was resolved by the pram reset method,Thanks a lot.