SSD Boots but Not Visible in DU in Boot Disc

Discussion in 'iMac' started by blevins321, May 31, 2011.

1. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Hi all,

Having an odd problem here. I'm attempting to wipe my drive and reinstall OSX and Windows 7. It's an OWC Memory Extreme 120GB SSD. The system boots, and passes all the disc utility checks. However, when I try to restart and boot onto the Snow Leopard DVD (I've tried two of them now), the boot loader seems to hang and approximately 15 minutes later will complete the disc boot.

When I open disk utility from the DVD, my internal hard drive isn't visible at all. (not just the partitions..but the drive itself). I know it's not an issue with the DVD; I've tried a friend's original 10.6.0 as well as my own 10.6.3 rerelease in both my internal and external optical drives.

Any ideas what's going on? If it matters, I recently (past month) applied the firmware fix to end the sleep stall issues.

2. ecstacy2012 macrumors member

hello, me and another on the forum where a couple of the first to open the machine and try owc ssd's, unforunately this is some sort of problem with owc drives and/or the osx disk. The only way around this is to clone from the other hd installed inside the imac and copy it over. OWC is aware of this problem and they also cloned there drives in testing hence why they didn't come across this problem. I have recently sent my owc drives back and switching to vertex.

3. blevins321 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the reply. I was apprehensive when I first got the SSD to install it, so I had a local Mac shop do it for me. I managed to reimage the machine using my HTPC Mini and putting the iMac in target disc mode. Then I restored a Time Machine backup of the Mini that was taken the first night I had it. Problem (sorta) solved. :)

4. ecstacy2012 macrumors member

yes that is another alternative but alot of people only have the one computer available as far as both being a mac so it's mainly the only option otherwise. I hope it worked out for you, I would keep this problem in mind in the future as i'm not to sure owc is going to come up with anything besides sending replacement drives as it might be in the firmware or caching system of there drives, good luck!