SSD + Broken HDD replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gerlof92, Jun 23, 2014.

1. gerlof92 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Let me first introduce myself.
    I am Gerlof, 21 years old and living in the Netherlands.

Half a year ago I replaced my HDD with a SSD and placed my HDD in an optibay on the place where my optical drive once was.

But now my HDD is dying so i need to replace it with another one.
    My SSD is the boot drive and runs the applications. My HDD is the drive for data and my home folder is also on the HDD.

How can I best replace the new HDD with the old one and transfer data. I have a time machine backup, i could just set back the whole backup but in that situation i don't know if the SSD just stays as it was.

I also copied the folder "my name" which is located on the Macintosh HD onto a external harddrive. Is this the way to go and just copy this folder onto the new HDD?

I am very happy to hear from you guys,

Greets Gerlof

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

The one item everybody needs in their toolkit is an external drive dock for handling bare drives. I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UI62AG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then all you have to do is plug in your new drive, connect it and then format the new drive, copy your data over, eject and then mount the new drive in the opti-bay carrier. I like Carbon Copy Cloner for making clones of existing drives.

3. gerlof92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks.

What if I want to do it without? It is just for once.

Thanks!

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Then make sure you have a verified copy of everything that's on the current drive. Then put the new drive in the opti-bay, format it and then copy all your data back over. CCC is still a good option for making the copies.