Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
Can anyone recommend some excellent SSD benchmarking tools for OSX & Windows?

BlackMagic for OS X. Can't help you on the Windows side.

To be honest, I wouldn't call the BlackMagic speed test app an excellent SSD benchmarking tool. It appears to have been designed for an era when video production/editing professionals were searching for the best spinning disks for video capture purposes and were not considering the need for booting and running the operating system and launching applications from the same disk.

Plus it has meters, but these don't cover the range of some of the fastest SATA-III and PCI SSDs now available.

For the purpose it appears to have been designed for, it does a decent job, but in a world were application performance demands high speed read/writes for small size random files (rather than running a sequential R/W test), it hardly seems worthwhile spending the time to download it.

The one advantage it does have over others, is that it is free and available in the app store, so it is simple to compare sequential R/W speeds with other users.

Xbench for OS X is quite old, but at least it supports 4K and 256K random read/write speed tests. However, you should be careful about comparing these results with SSD vendor published data or other benchmarking tools, as the queue depth and other factors might not match.

I'm not so familiar with the windows world, but from the SSD forums I'm using, it seems that AS SSD, CrystalDiskMark and ATTO Disk Benchmark are quite popular.

ishark

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
That drive would work, but it is really more of an enterprise (server) targeted drive and the price reflects that. I don't see any reason to pay over $500 for that drive when you can get say a Samsung EVO 500GB for around $250.

yep, but it's a used drive and i think for 200 euros it not expensive!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
SSD Intel dc-s3500 480GB is good for macbook pro mid 2012 ?

Since it's aimed towards enterprise, it has ridiculously high idle power consumption and doesn't support any form of low-power states (HIPM+DIPM & DevSleep), so I wouldn't use one in a laptop.

ishark

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Since it's aimed towards enterprise, it has ridiculously high idle power consumption and doesn't support any form of low-power states (HIPM+DIPM & DevSleep), so I wouldn't use one in a laptop.

ok, thank for info

what for best option ? samsung evo!

samapal

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
yep, but it's a used drive and i think for 200 euros it not expensive!
I think imho buying used ssd drive for 200 euro is not good idea!
ssd drive has limited cycles for record and you can buy ssd with near its lifetime

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Samsung Evo returns?

Hi

As i'm repeatedly using disk utility to erase/restore Samsung evo250 gig

Can someone advise how Samung returns policy works?

The ssd is only 1-2 months, was working great when installed

Carbon copy cloner shows 3 disk errors as a warning when I re clone from hdd

When I've re fromatted re partioned i'm repeating this dailly as my ssd is 'lost'. when I power on

Ive only had a quick look at the warranty was purchased from currys store local u.k

Ive seen a Amsterdam euro return address -Is this the only way I can return the ssd:confused:

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Go ask the customer service people in Currys/PC World. When I worked for PC World 15+ years ago some products were in-store swapout, others they followed the manufactuers standard warranty procuedure. Depends on the arrangements between DSG and the manufacturer.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I have a mid-2010 MBP and since it only runs SATA II, I don't notice any performance increase at all. I rarely reboot and don't do a lot of large data transfers. Honestly for the price I think I'll go back to a normal hard drive with 1TB.

I have the Samsung EVO 250GB. May buy a WD 1TB instead.

Now I have to re-enable the shock sensor in my MBP. :(

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I have a mid-2010 MBP and since it only runs SATA II, I don't notice any performance increase at all. I rarely reboot and don't do a lot of large data transfers. Honestly for the price I think I'll go back to a normal hard drive with 1TB.

What a load of twaddle. :eek:

If there's a performance problem on your system it's nothing to do with SATA II.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
screenshot Samsung Evo errors

Currys tomorrow...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-04-04 23.16.43.png
    Screenshot 2014-04-04 23.16.43.png
    436 KB · Views: 212

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Well done Currys

Samsung Evo replaced today no hasstle, the replacement is wokring brill and its pre installed with the latets fimrware version unlike the ssd I bought in Jan

:)

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
Well done Currys

Samsung Evo replaced today no hasstle, the replacement is wokring brill and its pre installed with the latets fimrware version unlike the ssd I bought in Jan

:)

That's great news :)

Seems like you just had a "bad apple" it can happen but the EVO's and Pro's
have a really good rep in general, I'm using 2 x 750's and they are superb.

Marty.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Screenshot 2014-04-10 21.22.40.png its been a few days

similar fault

Think it must be the sata cable -e.g. 'this disk cannot be initialised' when powering on the mac

the sata cable has a white tape join (when I installed) the replacment Evo

Is there a link via amazon or u.k. or retailer to purchase a new cable

Thanks

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY

What a load of twaddle. :eek:

If there's a performance problem on your system it's nothing to do with SATA II.

Yeah, something smells fishy...

I have a late 2011 MBP 17" (SATA III) and a few months ago I installed an EVO 1TB and it made it lightning fast - the difference was night and day.

A couple of weeks ago I got the EVO 750GB on special and installed it in my wife's 2010 MBP 17" (SATA II) and it was very lack lustre compared to the change on mine - half the read/write speeds seen on my SATA III MBP, but still a good step up from the original HDD.

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
View attachment 468064 its been a few days

similar fault

Think it must be the sata cable -e.g. 'this disk cannot be initialised' when powering on the mac

the sata cable has a white tape join (when I installed) the replacment Evo

Is there a link via amazon or u.k. or retailer to purchase a new cable

Thanks

That's probably more likely :-(
Cables have a bit of history for failing, they are quite delicate and the white tape seems a bit iffy.
Not sure where to order one ... google :)
M

Lourayad

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
Guys I think Im going to buy a used samsung 840 pro the seler is a company in my city, how can I test it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.