SSD buying trouble

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cslmac, Nov 13, 2013.

1. cslmac macrumors newbie

Ok So i have been researching SSD's for a while
    Right now i have a mid 2012 MBP 15 inch i7 16 gb ram and a sata 3.0gb/s 1tb wd hd. sorry i dont have the processor speed.

I have been looking at the Samsung 840 evo 1tb as well as the crucial m500 960gb. I am having a real hard time deciding between the 2.

From what I have been able to read up on SSD's these seem to be the best out there, without having to start selling my organs on the black market.

Anyone able to help me with deciding? if you have another SSD to suggest please let me know. I really want something with a lot of storage (i would be ok with 500gb i suppose). my laptop is my media center and everything.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

Anand La Shimpi (Anandtech) has real clout when it comes to SSD reviews.

The Evo is newer than the m500 so the link below of the Evo review refers to the m500 as well and all the graphs show both drives.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/...-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/12

He said :
    "With the EVO, Samsung puts forth a formidable competitor to the M500. It's faster, uses less power at idle and carries lower MSRPs for most of the capacity range. "
    "The 1TB version is exciting because it offers a competitive price with the 960GB M500 but with better performance."

Here are the tests:

Performance consistency = win samsung
    anand storage bench 2013 (the destroyer) = win samsung
    anand storage bench 2011 = win samsung
    performance (random/sequential) = win samsung
    power consumption = win samsung

(you can google Anandtech crucial m500 though if you want that review but the Evo wasn't out yet so it contains no comparison. So if they say m500 is the fastest 1tb drive etc its because that review was before the evo existed).

Finally these are the return rates of defective drives by company:
    - Samsung 0,05% - Plextor 0,16% - Intel 0,37% - Crucial 1,12% - Corsair 1,61% - OCZ 6,64% (!) - See more at: http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-ssd-best-hard-drive-september-2013/#sthash.3zx8HNHT.dpuf

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Those are both good drives and there will little or no real world performance difference. Just get whichever you can find the cheapest.