SSD Caching, the next macbook technology?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by omniatlas, Jan 25, 2012.

1. omniatlas macrumors member

It seems SSD caching is really taking off with OCZ and synapse http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-synapse-cache-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html

and other companies joining them --

http://www.corsair.com/ssd/accelerator-series-ssd-cache-drives.html

What it basically does is act as an SSD cache in conjunction with any hd, be it a 2 TB hd, or a raid configuration. Pretty cool for those that don't want to micromanage, or reinstall their HD.

The OCZ an corsair use proprietary software, but theres also software on the horizon that can be used with any ssd. http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/fancy-cache/ (windows only for now, beta testing).

Could you use this being implemented in the macbook range anytime? This way you can get SSD type speeds and don't have to sacrifice HDD space.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd say this is more likely for the MacBook Pro than the MacBook Air. I think Apple prefers the Air to have all flash storage. It saves space and enables them to keep the case as thin as possible.

3. Augure macrumors regular

SSD cache coupled with HDD is for Office computer and large laptops, to gain speed and keep high size.

But for the Macbook Air, it's all about size and efficiency: we won't see any HDD in them.

What I would just like is for the ****in SSD units to drop in price.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

SSD cache has been around for years. And it has not taken off.

5. atMac macrumors 6502

The odd thing is that here is really no good reason why it hasn't other than not many game hybrid drives.

The Seagate drive is a nice performance boost above a normal HDD and cheaper than an SSD. I think the reason its not used so much in laptops is due to the added power draw of the onboard SSD and HDD combined.

6. kzrconf macrumors newbie

All abstractions leak, and SSD caching a rotating drive will have its weak points. I'm very happy that applications will never face any seek times or any drive spin-up, just consistent snappiness.

7. Zudeo macrumors member

Zudeo

I think that an SSD Caching solution for the next MacBook Pro would be a godsend. This is what some of the new Lenovo's have; they've labelled it as 'RapidDrive technology' and it truly makes a large difference. I should be one of the things Apple considers for its newer models and its a natural evolutionary step for notebooks.

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Mechanical HDD to SSD is an evolutionary step, how is a hybrid of the 2 the next logical step?

I'd just like to see larger/cheaper SSDs, not faster...