SSD Capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pops68, Jun 23, 2015.

1. pops68, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015

pops68 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I am hoping that you can help clear up a query I have in regards to my SSD. Currently I have the 240gb OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD as my main hard drive, on which I only have all my apps installed on. However, when I look on About This Mac and Storage, it somewhat puzzles me as to the information displayed, I am unable to upload a screenshot of the information in question. In the wording section, the free storage on the SSD is stated as 203.94 GB of 238.84 GB. Furthermore, when I look on the graphics, it shows the green (apps) section as 203.94 and the white (free) section is only shown as 34.92 GB. I am at a loss as why to why the SSD is showing conflicing information, as I know I have not installed 203.94 GB worth of apps.

Any help appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Common problem. That graphic gets its info from the Spotlight index and when that index is corrupt the numbers will be all wrong like yours are.

Run the command below in Terminal to redindex Spotlight and it should fix it. Give it a half hour or so to complete the reindex.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /

4. pops68 thread starter macrumors newbie

Weaselboy, you are a gentleman and a scholar, your resolution worked a treat. Admittedly, after Googling it also suggest deleting the Spotlight folder via Terminal and then reinstating Spotlight.

Once again thanks