SSD care and performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by C1S12OB, Sep 16, 2011.

1. C1S12OB macrumors newbie

Hi all

Recently purchased a Macbook Air 11inch and i was just curious as to how to keep my SSD in best condition. Coming from a windows pc with a SSD i had to now and then run a little app that ran a TRIM command to keep the drive in good nic.

Also are there any good bench marking programs for mac, and the SSD in particular ?

Many Thanks in advance !

2. echo.park macrumors regular

echo.park

A full SSD is a healthy SSD. And don't delete much data again and again. ;)

Seriously there's isn't much that you can do. Just use it. Loading data does nothing, but deleting and re-writing is limited like to several thousand times per cell. And there are millions and millions of cells. So maybe after some years your SSD MIGHT get a little slow. But actually no one really has an idea, because of the lack of long-term knowledge.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just use it. Apple wouldn't put an SSD in a Mac if it required special maintenance. OS X supports TRIM in Apple SSDs so pretty much everything is covered.

4. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Since I'm pretty ignorant about ssd drives, what does this mean? Trim is garbage collection? Meaning extraneous files that really serve no purpose are automatically deleted? Does Trim require actions from users?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

TRIM is a command that allows the OS to inform the SSD controller if the file is no longer in use. Normally, when you delete a file in OS, it just marks the space as free, nothing is deleted from the actual drive. This article pretty much covers everything you need to know. And no, TRIM requires no actions from the user.

6. LordJim macrumors newbie

7. echo.park macrumors regular

echo.park

Probably.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

xBench and AJA System test work too. Blackmagic should be fine too.