SSD choice advice ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lazarusbf, May 6, 2010.

1. lazarusbf macrumors member

lazarusbf

(Hello
    i still cannot decide whether i should go for the more affordable (17" i5 8GB RAM) 500GB 7500rpm drive or the 128GB SSD ? I know that 128GB is really small, but can anybody tell how much is already used by all OS applications and stuff when you first use your mac (and then what's left free) ?
    thanks)

EDITED: see my last post, thanks

2. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Depending on the apps, your size will vary. I have Adobe, Office and OSX and other mandatory apps as well as a 3gb iPhoto library and I push 30 gigs. If you don't have Adobe and some of the stuff I do then expect to be around 10-15.

Plenty of space. SSD is worth it, you won't go back to a platter drive. I would advise you to get yourself an Intel 3rd party drive and not buy an already upgraded SSD option from Apple. It will be faster, and handle better. You will also get a small spike in battery life (I got an extra 20mins upgrading to SSD). The upgrade itself is painless and there are a plethora of Youtube videos illustrating the process.

If you get the SSD, make sure you update to the latest firmware (an easy process dictated on Intel's site).

3. lazarusbf thread starter macrumors member

lazarusbf

Thanks for this precious informations.
    I will surely go for the ssd thing. I understand i should order the simple 5400rpm HDD on the applestore and then replace it with an intel ssd drive (bigger than 128GB). This means a spare HDD, there's no other way, ok.

Any tips on which model i should order (and where) ?
    I'd appreciate your advices, as i'm in europe (english is a second language) and newbie to the Mac world. Don't worry about taxes and delivery costs, i'll be ordering it just like my MBP: i have a friend in Pittsburgh and have all hardware delivered to him and he's coming back here in Belgium next month to handle it to me.

:)

4. hzamani macrumors member

Order the ssd from newegg.com

5. lazarusbf thread starter macrumors member

lazarusbf

6. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Yep! The x25 is the one you want. Good prices, I paid ... 230$ for my 80gb, maybe I should have gotten a 160. Entirely worth it. : )

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc