SSD Choice? Need some advice for users....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Demthios, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Demthios macrumors member

So I'm about to get my new i7 15" macbook from school and I've decided that I'm going to put a SSD into it. I'm gonna pick up the OWC version of the Optibay when I order my ram upgrade. I plan on putting the 500gig stock drive in that and then the SSD in the normal hard drive slot. I also planned on picking up the OWC 120gb SSD at the same time, but a co-worker has an 80g Intel that is brand new and willing to sell it to me for 180 bucks. I've heard the performance of the Intel's have been pretty good and the OWC with the new sandforce controller sounds like it's keeping pace with the intel. Would it be worth the extra $140 to pick up the OWC vs the Intel from my buddy?

Anyone out there used both and have any suggestions? I just kinda of afraid of the intel drive slowing down with out any way to clean it up since there doesn't seem to be any really future support of trim coming up soon.

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

That's a decent price for the used drive. Hard to not say "go for it".

On the other hand, you can get a faster larger drive brand new with factory warranty for a "bit more".

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&Q=&IC=CRC3001286&A=RetrieveSku

just saying................................... :p
    JohnG

3. altecXP macrumors 65816

4. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

So I was going to create a new thread but figured I'd tag onto this. looking at buying an SSD for the i7 15" Macbook Pro, I do a lot of graphics/video heavy work, that normally shouldn't be done on a laptop. I was looking at buying the REALSSD C300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0148349&cm_re=real_ssd-_-20-148-349-_-Product Trying to "future-proof" (hahhahaha), Since it has Sata3, later on I could pop it in something that supports sata3.

Has anyone used these with video editing? photoshop? what are your experiences? Is one of these drives comparable to using a 2-3 7200rpm drive RAID 0?

Is this like night and day performance coming from a 7200 drive? I'm looking for the best bang for the buck and have no issue spending into the $700 for it.

5. maverick72 macrumors member

Using a C300 256g since 2 months now and i'll never go back to using a spin drive. Even in Raid 0. The system is so snappy you will have a hard time going back. It will surely give you better perfs then 2 x 7200rpm drives in raid 0.

Mind that i only do Aperture, WMWare Fusion, games, etc so not sure about the video encoding part.

6. Demthios thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I know about the warranty and all, hmmm....How has the intel faired in slowing down on Mac's?? So question for all you guys that are running the 240-256's out there are you guys running two drives or do you just run the single drive in your pro's?

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...the OP says its a brand new drive in his post... they go for about $200 give or take $20 so $180 seems like a fair price...

8. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Maybe not for a drive that has questionable warranty status.

cheers
    JohnG

9. magamo macrumors 6502

My first generation X25-M 160GB has been sitting on my MBP for a year and a half. But it doesn't seem like the speed deterioration is noticeable in everyday use, though benchmarks and some drive intensive programs might show some slow down. Anyway, my booting time hasn't changed at all, and every app launches instantly. Read and write are always snappy. I think the biggest contributing factor of performance degradation is the fact that you'll be spoilt by your SSD; you'll start taking the snappiness for granted.

10. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

Crucial is having a huge sale.

Crucial Memory www.crucial.com/ssd SSD BLOWOUT SALE while supplies last. Just
    $1.55 per GB!!!

-- COUPON CODE 200M225US Crucial M225 SSD 256GB $399 (regularly $599)

-- COUPON CODE 100M225US Crucial M225 SSD 128GB $199
    (regularly $299)

www.crucial.com N. America customers only. Quantity limit of 1 per order. Limited to stock on hand. No rain checks or backorders.

11. Demthios thread starter macrumors member

So is the 240 big enough not to need the extra drive for you guys that are using them?? Thanks for the heads up on the discount but wanna stay either with the intel or the sandforce controllers.....

12. Vyruz Reaper macrumors regular

ok mr. slick deals.... but can you tell me if this has garbage collection?

13. wirelessness macrumors 6502

Not to hijack this thread but I think it's related:

Is the Apple provided 256gb SDD really as bad as OWC makes it out to be? Especially over an extended period? If so, what are some other options? Are the Crucial Real SSD's good long term performers?

14. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

Thank you....

I order 256 GB CRUCIAL SSD today... Your coupon save me $ 200.00.
    THANX:) MAN

15. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

NP Bro, and to the OP yes they are very good drives. If i had 200 i would buy the 128 GB Model.