SSD Choices

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ildottorebardi, Aug 14, 2012.

1. ildottorebardi macrumors newbie

Ever since I have had my 13" MacBook Pro (it is a mid-2010 purchased in July 2010) it has shown the spinning beach ball often and everything has hung for roughly 45 seconds before then carrying on as normal.

I was planning on doing a fresh install with Mountain Lion as the problem had persisted when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion. My friend suggested that I put in an SSD instead as it will make it much faster generally. I know a fresh OS install will make it faster than it currently is but I am quite tempted to go with an SSD while I am at it to make it faster still.

After doing some research, I am still unsure on what to go for. I would like to spend roughly £150 ($235) but I would pay up to £200 ($315). I am looking for roughly 250GB (which I understand to be 240GB on some models and 256GB on others).

Based on reviews I am considering the Crucial M4 (though Amazon has MANY and I would not know which to choose) and the Sandisk Extreme Sata III, both of which are linked below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006EKJ8UI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A1AUCPBF2P18HS

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004W2JL2A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Please help me with my decision.

Many thanks,

Dom.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I suggest;

Corsair Force GT
    Samsung 830
    Crucial M4 (slowest of the 3)

3. ildottorebardi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much! After taking my old iPhone apart and rebuilding it as a completely different iPhone (breaking it in the process) I don't particularly feel like taking my mac apart as well so I thought I would get someone to do it for me. I just wanted to check however, is the Samsung easy to install, ie. would one lift the existing HD out and slot the new one into place?

Thanks,

Dom.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Install...body-Early-2011-Hard-Drive-Replacement/5119/1

5. ildottorebardi thread starter macrumors newbie

6. ildottorebardi thread starter macrumors newbie

Just been doing more research. Will the fact that my MBP has a 3GBps SATA whereas the Samsung is 6GBps be a problem?

Thanks,

Dom.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Nope, won't be a problem besides your laptop limiting the drives top speed. Otherwise it'll work just fine.

8. ildottorebardi thread starter macrumors newbie

9. LeeM macrumors 6502a

get the samsung. instalation is exceptionally easy if youre just putting it in place of the standard hdd

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

The install will be the same with any 2.5" HDD or SSD, its not going to be easier with one brand over the other unless you get a 7.5mm slim SSD.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just FYI, upgrading the RAM or hard drive in a MacBook pro isn't anything like taking your iPhone apart. Apple actually lists those as user upgradable parts, and they're pretty easy to access. Just follow the instructions and everything will be fine.

12. JTToft macrumors 68040

- And how is a 7.5mm drive different?

13. ildottorebardi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, the Samsung is ordered. I have watched some videos and feel fairly confident but my parents are less than so. I will bring them round though ;) Thanks to all for your advice.

Dom.

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The ifixit.com guide is really all you'll need, along with the proper tools.

15. ildottorebardi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You!

I just wanted to say a massive thank you to all those who contributed to this thread. The swap was extremely easy and I have a Mac that is ridiculously quick and that does not crash! Just some stats for anyone interested:

Swap Time: 13 mins
    Install Time: 24 mins, 40 secs
    Boot Time: 26.7 secs
    Read Speed Before: 73.3mbps
    Write Speed Before: 70.0mbps
    Read Speed After: 251.7mbps
    Write Speed After: 200.5mbps
    SSD Mass: 61g
    HDD Mass: 92g

Many thanks again,

Dom. :)