SSD Choices

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Junel, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Junel macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    I am wondering if you can give me a bit of advice.
    My Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Series SSD has died, and amazon is offering me a full refund.
    I have seen the Seagate 600 Series 480GB for £160. Do you believe it is a good deal for me to purchase the Seagate or shall I try something else, or even stick to another Samsung?

Thanks

Junel

2. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

In my opinion only Intel is more reliable than Samsung when it comes to SSDs. I guess you were unlucky.

I'd stick with Samsung.

3. Junel thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I was thinking about sticking with Samsung, it has more of a reputation when it comes to SSD's than Seagate. However, the extra space available for the same price due to the drive being special offer on offer is compelling.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you just had bad luck with the Samsung and in general people don't seem to be having the infant mortality issue you had. That said, the Seagate you mentioned is a good drive also and if you can get a better deal on it than the Samsung it would be worth a try.

5. Junel thread starter macrumors newbie

I've decided to place an order for the Seagate, extra space would be a pleasure to have, I had to be very space conscious with the 240GB, specially with my ever growing iTunes library. I've copied over as much as I need into an external drive, the SSD should be coming tomorrow, hopefully before I leave for a few days!