SSD clean up/cycles?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tech198, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all..

Is there a tool i can use on my Macbook Pro Retina to check how many cycles are left before the SSD dies ?

I know Wear Leveling is in Mavericks for garbage collection, its not perfect, nothing is, so is any way to find out info regarding this via a tool or something, or unless its from Apple, it would be in-accurate?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't know of anything that will do that, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is. Someone else should be able to come along and advise.

But unless you're doing an extraordinary amount of writes to the SSD on a daily basis, the SSD should last many, many years. It's not something you should really worry about.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are utilities like drivedx that can access the smart attributes of the drive and one of those is an estimation of life cycle remaining. You can use the free trial if you just want to check once out of curiosity.

4. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

My Samsung reports wear cycles via SMART. It shows up via the Trim Enabler app. In a little over a year I've used less than 1%. At this rate it will last about 110 years. I'm not worried.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Similarly I use DriveDX and it currently reports 99% remaining after 2100 powered hours and 8mths usage (I run OS and Apps from the SSD but not data such as iPhoto or iTunes libraries.

At that rate it will last me 50yrs+ so I'm not too worried.