ssd compatible for 1st gen MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ansetou, Nov 18, 2010.

1. ansetou macrumors newbie

My MBA is giving me a startup blue screen now and it never gets out of it. Based on what I read, this seems to indicate that the hd is gone. I'm thinking about replacing it with a SSD HD. Can anyone please suggest some compatible ones or what parameters to look for? Thanks,

2. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

3. manuelfp macrumors newbie

Helo!
    I had the same problem.
    My MBA rev A the HD died suddenly
    So I bought another HD 80 but it died few months later too.
    This HD 80GB from MBA first generation is really a piece of ****

So I was decided to replace with a SSD hard drive.
    I read a lot, many reviews.. so after I decided to buy this model because I saw was the best (read and write speed)

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/SP...or-macbook-air-rev-a--80000ADF-1247088364.jsp

I bought , changed myself (it's really easy) and no more problems.

I'm not a fan of upgrades. I prefer to change my laptop, but I did and I recommend.
    The speed is amazing. All programs and boot is really quick.

After all I sold last week my MBA, and bought the new one because I couldn't install snow leopard on my Rev A because it got heat with the fans high every time. I spoke with a genius bar that told me that REV A won't support snow leopard because it is a 64bit OS. In fact Rev A does a magic to run snow leopard.

You can install but your computer will get hot really hot.

With Leopard on my Rev A I don't have problems.

So next year will debute Lion, so I won't miss this upgrade.
    Because this I sold my Rev A, otherwise I would keept it. It's a great machine and I miss my backlit keyboard.
    If you plan to use just to surf, word, excel , email, I recommend to change for this model of SSD.

I bought a 64SSD (200us), but my iTunes library and many big files I have in my
    TimeCapsule 1T.

4. ansetou thread starter macrumors newbie

guys, thanks for the reply. any chance of recovering data from the original hd?

5. buckawheat macrumors member

I've been running snow leopard on a base 1.6 rev A air since it launched with no issues other than fan rev up when watching movies (youtube, etc).