SSD-connector repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by patr3104, Dec 4, 2014.

1. patr3104 macrumors newbie

Hi folks!
    I have a couple of questions regarding the replacement of a MBA SSD-connector.

My MBA stopped working half a year ago. As my friend was using it, it shut off from one moment to another (at least that's what it seemed - black screen, not responding) and has remained this way since.

A couple of weeks ago i finally left it at a repair shop after having my brother look at it with no succes.
    A week later the repair guy calls me and says they flound a liquid damage on the connection between the SSD and the motherboard.
    He said the repair would cost 1650 danish krones which equals about $275 (remind you consumer prices are generally quite a bit higher in Denmark than the USA). I thought this price seemed strangely high for the repair of a connection - not that I know much about fixing computers.

Now, I want to know if replacing the SSD-connector myself (as i understood it, this is what the repair guy ment by connection) is doable/inexpensive, and ideally some guiding towards the repair itself. Got the tools by the way.

At the moment I am not sure of the exact model of the computer, as I got it from my sister, but I'm pretty much certain it's between late 2010 and mid 2012. Might know the exact model later tonight.

Thanks in advance!
    - Patrik

2. crsh1976, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

In the event the connector and not the SSD needs fixing, I would wager the cost covers the replacement of the whole logic board (to which the SSD is plugged in) as trying fixing/solder/etc parts of electronic components is cost-prohibitive due to the amount of time and expertise it would require (if it's really fixable at all) .. so more repair services just replace the whole thing instead.

Otherwise, if it's the SSD itself that needs to be replaced, I'm sure you can fix a tear-down and replacement guide over at iFixIt for your specific model.