Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
My MBA is about 2 years old now (11 inch), running a 128 GB SSD.

About 10 min ago Chrome became paused because the computer thought the SSD was out of space. Finder showed 500 MB left. Found this odd as I did a big clean a couple weeks ago and removed a lot of media.

Just now, I restarted the computer and as soon as it started it showed 11.97 GB of free space. Odd thing is though, since it turned on, every couple of seconds the amount of GB goes down every couple seconds continuously by .01 GB.

Just now, 5 minutes after turning it on, it shows 11.67 GB free (instead of the 11.97 from earlier), and continuous to go down.

Has anyone heard of this? Any insight? Seems obvious that I might need to replace the SSD but curious to see if there's a fix or known issue.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
If that were my laptop I'd boot the recovery partition & run disk utility scans on the main part of the drive - just to be sure.

Then I'd use something omni disk sweeper (no affiliation, just a happy user) to determine where all the space is being used, then determine what I can safely get rid of to do some clean up.

What's running on the box when disk space starts to get consumed? How much memory is in it?

request

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2013
My MBA is about 2 years old now (11 inch), running a 128 GB SSD.

About 10 min ago Chrome became paused because the computer thought the SSD was out of space. Finder showed 500 MB left. Found this odd as I did a big clean a couple weeks ago and removed a lot of media.

Just now, I restarted the computer and as soon as it started it showed 11.97 GB of free space. Odd thing is though, since it turned on, every couple of seconds the amount of GB goes down every couple seconds continuously by .01 GB.

Just now, 5 minutes after turning it on, it shows 11.67 GB free (instead of the 11.97 from earlier), and continuous to go down.

Has anyone heard of this? Any insight? Seems obvious that I might need to replace the SSD but curious to see if there's a fix or known issue.

Why don't you check and see if you have Toshiba SSD, because those has known failure. My Toshiba SSD died in 9months and Apple hasn't fixed it yet..

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Maybe something is logging excessively? Use the Console app to check that. Press CMD+Space and type Console. What does it show?

You are brilliant.

It was photostream. As soon as I turned it off in sys pref my space jumped up to 16.35GB free and seems to be staying there.

Seems pretty obvious looking back now.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
You are brilliant.

It was photostream. As soon as I turned it off in sys pref my space jumped up to 16.35GB free and seems to be staying there.

Seems pretty obvious looking back now.

nice! congrats. as it were you're getting pretty lose to 90% full on that drive. might want to consider zapping some larger files you don't need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.