SSD conversion shopping list

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DanielCoffey, Nov 29, 2010.

1. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

Nov 15, 2010
    Edinburgh, UK
    I am about to convert my non-AppleCare mid-2007 iMac (24", 2.8GHz c2d, 4Gb, 500GB WDC HDD) over to a single internal SSD and I wanted to firm up my shopping list and ask a few installation questions.

I will be shopping at e-shops in the UK. I normally use but am not averse to shopping around.

I will be replacing the existing internal 3.5" HDD. I am most likely to fit an OCZ 120Gb Vertex2E since my current HDD only contains 60Gb and the biggest chunk of that is WoW.

The four main questions I have are...

1. Which type of 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor to buy?

2. How do you handle the problem of the reach of the existing SATA/power cable? What part do I need to order so that I can fit the SSD drive in its adaptor properly and still deal with the cable issue.

3. Is there a thermal sensor on/in the old HDD ? What do I need to do to it to transfer it to the SSD or what do I have to replace it with? How susceptible to damage is it?

4. Where can I source the screen suction cups and necessary tools in the UK? T10 or something is it?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
  3. DanielCoffey thread starter macrumors 65816

Nov 15, 2010
    Edinburgh, UK
    You, sir, are a genius!

Any issues likely with the temperature sensor by the way?
  4. zerostar, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

zerostar macrumors regular

Apr 28, 2008
    South Florida
    I would get the 2.5" Vertex 2, that includes the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter in the box... (as you can see here, check the pics: that way if you ever want to move the drive to a laptop down the road (exactly what I did) you will have the option...

For me the cables fit just fine so no adapters/extenders needed and I also had a 24" iMac 2.8 Same as yours.

As far as the sensor, you will find it is held on with foam/tape stuff and you can just adhere it to a good (out of the way) spot on the SSD and just use a little more tape to secure it (what I did) but the sSD stays so cool it's barely even registered... (Looks like this:,r:1,s:0)

I got suction cups at a local "drug" mini-mart type store, they have nice plastic hooks on them perfect for pulling with my fingers... Also for my sisters I used a nice sturdy one off her GPS unit for the car, stuck it right in the middle/top and it pulled the screen off no problem... My friend used one of those plastic tools to pry the screen up, I don't know how safe that is tho.

As for the Torx you can get a T10 on ebay very cheap, here is a nice lil set (and comes with tamper proof tool, good to have :):

I think you need a couple diff. torx sizes anyway, I believe I did...