Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
PR
what it's the best ? i am looking to get one i have a 500 gb hg and i am looking to get a good ssd any sugestions ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have a Samsung 470 and it works perfectly.

The Samsung is a SATA II SSD while the M4 is a SATA III SSD. Just judging from forum user reports here, the SATA II SSDs seem to have far fewer compatibility issues.

Unless you are often moving around very large data files, you won't notice the difference in speed between SATA II and III.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
PR
i found on ebay a crucial ssd 128gb for 189 and a samsung ssd for 194 plus shipping thinking of it

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I've got both coming to me this week, so I should be able to perform a few benchmarks.

However, I only have a Windows machine available.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
I hear the OWC are very good in particular because they have TRIM build in which is good as Apple doesn't support it on 3rd party hardware.

They have "garbage collection" built in, not TRIM; this is true of all SandForce SSDs, not just OWC.

OWC is amazing at having the same product with the same features as another company, but marketing them as something amazing, that's super amazing on Macs, and you get to pay a lot more too. Ex. RAM "for" Apple computers, it's just normal RAM, and it's not even like it's made by OWC, they're just selling a 3rd party. And the OS X updater for their SSDs, it's just a linux .iso, which other SandForce drives have had forever.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I always buy from OWC, and so far I will continue doing so, even there were some previous difficulties with their former SSDs, there are plenty of threads about that, surely some other MR members will point them out.
DEspite the warnings and threads about unhappy MacRumors users, I bought the OWC SSD, and it rocks!
The shipment was fast, the kit has anything you need including basic tools, hands down I highly recommend the OWC upgrades for the Macs.
The RAM is very well priced also.

I think someone is confusing the Apple Stock price with OWC prices.

http://www.macsales.com

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
I think someone is confusing the Apple Stock price with OWC prices.

http://www.ms sales.com

Nope, I'm well aware of their pricing; $70 for 8GB of RAM is not even a bad price, it's terrible. And its not like you can say it's "special" or anything to justify the price, they just resell normal RAM (Samsung for example). Nor do they provide you with any other benefits over newegg, aside from taking more of your money.

EDIT: I will say the SSDs are only $30-50 more than other SandForce drives, so comparatively that's not all that bad.

Last edited:

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Nope, I'm well aware of their pricing; $70 for 8GB of RAM is not even a bad price, it's terrible. And its not like you can say it's "special" or anything to justify the price, they just resell normal RAM (Samsung for example). Nor do they provide you with any other benefits over newegg, aside from taking more of your money.

I can get 8GB for $67, and it's better than the OWC RAM.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
CL7. I'm on my iphone, and can't get links from the new egg App, but it was 8GB of Corsair RAM, $35 shipped when I ordered, maybe 10-14 days ago.

hmm, I'll have a look, the one I'm looking at is a Kingston module, 1066Mhz, and CL 7 as well. Edit, if I import, I'll probably get stung by various taxes and fees.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
I'm in FL (Tampa at the moment) and my orders are tax free, and both my SSD and RAM had free shipping. And new customers get $10 off orders of $50 or more, so got $10 off my Vertex 3 and with the RAM ordered a 16GB SD card to bring it to $50, so net the SD card was $5.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I'm in FL (Tampa at the moment) and my orders are tax free, and both my SSD and RAM had free shipping. And new customers get $10 off orders of $50 or more, so got $10 off my Vertex 3 and with the RAM ordered a 16GB SD card to bring it to $50, so net the SD card was $5.

I used eBay :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.