SSD Decisions....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Silverrune, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Silverrune macrumors regular

First, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I am going to anyway.

Okay, so I am considering buying an SSD for my new MBP 9,1 :D and I am looking for decent capacity, around 240/256 will do. I then am looking for HIGH speeds as I will be doing lots and lots of editing and maybe even a little programming, all to make it even more difficult I am on a budget just to wrap it off, it would be nice to have a little extra money for my ram.

Found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ckTab=true&Keywords=(keywords)#scrollFullInfo

I have come up with some choices,
    The Corsair Force Series GT 240 GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233208
    OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDMX6G240T/

But I also realized when looking up reviews that these are relatively old. I have seen reviews from mid 2011 (not that old, still). I am trying to make up my mind, I am leaning towards the Corsair SSD but I have heard that their support isn't the best. I haven't heard much about OWC which doesn't help. The Corsair is cheaper and is faster (Based on specs). I also note that the Corsair has Background garbage collection, not sure about OWC (I think it does). :confused:
    So to make it quick help me with the choice. I will not go with OCZ, I have heard way to many bad things. I hate most of Samsungs products. Any suggestions or final conclusions of what I have brought? Anything to add?

2. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

Why do you hate most samsung products? The Samsung 830 is a very good SSD so should definitely be on your shortlist IMHO.

3. m4tic macrumors member

Too bad you dislike OCZ... my vertex 4 has no issues.

4. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

I dislike Samsung products because I have always had bad luck with them, I dislike their phones for the obvious reasons and the only thing I can say is good about Samsung from experience is their refrigerators, but that is another conversation for a different thread. As for the OCZ I have heard about a third bad vs the 2/3 good which isn't very good odds. I'm glad it works for you though. :)
    Anyone have any answers to my questions?

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yes: You should be considering the Samsung 830. Samsung has an excellent track record in terms of reliability of their SSDs. I'm sorry to hear that you've had bad luck with some of their products, but you really shouldn't write off their SSD because of it. After all, it comes with 3 years of warranty, so any problems that you may encounter are covered and will be remedied.

6. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Trust me, the Samsung 830 is a turn around.

Anand and other reviewers definitely recommend Mac users to go for the 830. Even Apple uses it in some of their SSDs.

But I have the 6G. After a year use, it just failed on me. I got it replaced around Feb-March and it works perfectly fine now. Their five year warranty is a godsend.

7. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

To be quite honest I have heard they are a good product, which I am not disputing, I just said (in more words, I may have stated my mind wrong) that I dislike Samsung's products, generally. I have given the product more than a sweeping glance but for me the Write times left more to be desired for the price. One thing I do like (a lot) is it's power consumption.

8. azpekt macrumors regular

what about Intel 520? you should check it out as well

9. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I'm not a mind reader so these reasons aren't obvious. Odd, given how awesome my SGS3 is, but oh well.

Shame, because the reviews for the 830 seem outstanding, although I haven't used one myself.

There's always the M4 or the intel 520?

10. Silverrune, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

It's solid I just wish the MTBF was longer... And this drive has Background clean up too. Correct? Doesn't all Nand memory?

----------

Like the Samsung 830, I find the M4 to have a slow write speed in comparison. But like the samsung I like the low power consumption. And like I said before I wish it had a long MTBF.

11. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

To be honest, these differences are negligible to us. The real impact is the 6 or so fold increase over a standard 5400 drive, which any of these are gonna offer. You're not going to notice these speeds much with editing. This is where the CPU is most proficient, followed by RAM. As you're after a cheap price, I'd pick one of the cheapest big name brands (m4/830/520/vertex 4) and stick with that.

12. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

I did read somewhere forget where, but it said that the IOSP's will affect rendering and exporting of edited files. Any truth or what do these actually affect for a demanding user?

----------

I love the specs, but the price is to high and the reviews are just decent.

13. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

14. Sahee macrumors regular

Sahee

Samsung 830 all the way... very durable and amazing writing speed especially when you use the program with gets shipped with the SSD called "Samsung SSD Magician", it will adjust your Computer-Settings to get the maximum performance out of the SSD.

15. Sairo macrumors regular

Sairo

The program runs ON Mac? Or Windows only?

16. Sahee macrumors regular

Sahee

It should be compatible with MAC... at least this is what Samsung is implying. Can't test it myself yet.

17. SadChief macrumors regular

SadChief

Windows ONLY.

18. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Actually Apple right now uses it in all of their SSD's along with Toshiba. They all have custom Apple firmware instead of the stock 830 firmware to get the most out of OSX. But samsung has one of the fastest, most reliable SSD's on the market right now.

Any big name company, such as Apple that picks a OEM for their parts, such companies pick them for their reliability above all else, and performance.

Samsung, Toshiba, Micron(crucial), intel, all make OEM SSD's. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Get the Samsung, you will be happy you did.

19. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

Personally I think you would be crazy not to entertain the idea of the Samsung 830.... they have built the whole thing, every single chip they have manufactured.

It's a fantastic SSD....

20. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Samsung makes a heck of a lot of things. Not just phones, but many components that make up many electronics out there. If you own an iPhone, there will be Samsung parts in them. Many OCZ SSDs use Samsung NAND chips and possibly the DRAM as well. The A5X on the iPad? Samsung.

Samsung's SSD Magician is a Windows-only software. It is meaningless on Macs simply because Apple writes its own firmware for all the "branded" SSDs it sells on their Mac lines, even if it's sourced from Samsung or Toshiba. If your Mac's Apple SSD requires a firmware update, the ball's in Apple's court, Samsung has nothing to do with it.

OP: both linked drives are SandForce, so the only differentiation comes down to pricing. You really should consider Samsung 830 and set your sammy hate aside.

21. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

I think you must be trolling if you ignore 3 of the best possible suggestions for MacBook Pro upgrades that this community has come up with. Samsung 830, Crucial m4, and the OCZ Agility/Vertex lines are all pretty widely held as the best for MBP upgrades.

I am confused why anyone would ask for advice and ignore all suggestions. No offense intended, and I hope you are happy with whatever you decide. :apple:

My vote is for the Samsung 830 or Crucial m4 depending on your taste/price/preference.

22. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

I am not, I have just made up my mind that I do not want those and I want one of these two products.

23. McCaffers macrumors member

I've used M4 for months now and it works really well. No problems.

24. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

I'll admit, you were not trolling. I was just making the point that it seems silly to ask advice while using bias to discard three of the top manufacturers out of the gate.

No worries, hope the trolling comment didn't offend.