SSD died on me after 3 months

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SteelBlueTJ, Jun 9, 2012.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

About 3 months ago, I installed a Mercury Electra 6G SSD from OWC in my 2007 iMac. It has worked flawlessly ever since and has been incredibly fast and quiet. This morning I went to boot up and get the flashing "?". This is the first hiccup I've ever had since...well never. 5 years of constant use of the original 500GB Seagate and it never gave me any problems. So first I try to reset the pRam with no results. Next I try to boot from my Lion flash drive and go into disk utility. The SSD doesn't even show up under available disks. It's like it isn't even there. I then proceed to call OWC and talk to tech support they informed me I will have to send the drive in for them to test it and they will send me a new one since it's still under warranty. I reinstalled the original Seagate drive and I'm back up and running for now. I tested the SSD again once it was out of my machine by hooking it up externally with a SATA-USB cable and it didn't even power up or recognize it - nothing. After this experience I don't know if I trust SSD's anymore with only 3 months of use. It was only a boot drive so I only had the OS and Apps on it. All media and data I have on an external. I just thought I'd share my experience but wanted some reassurance on the lifespan of SSD's. Maybe I just got a fluke?

2. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

Yup, my ocz petrol lasted the same time :( I've just swapped it back for my old drive and it's bloody sloooooooooooow :(

3. Code001 macrumors member

It's hardware. All hardware has the potential to fail. It doesn't mean that SSD is unreliable.

4. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

This is correct, however it seems that OWC has had some serious issues with failure rates on their ssd's recently.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Are you referring to the sandforce controller issue? Overall they're no more reliable than HDDs. In some types of raids ssds can also be potentially unsuitable.

6. Nandifix macrumors 6502

Hdd are more reliable than ssd as they have been around for a much longer time and all the problems have been worked out of them unlike ssd. The most reliable ssd are intel.

7. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I think the Samsung 830's are just as reliable, yet not as expensive.

8. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

I don't know what happens with these SSD's i get half the speed the company promise

9. New Apple macrumors regular

Samsung or OWC ?

10. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

I have two OWC Electra 6g

11. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

company says 285MB/s (i have a 3G bus) and i get 190MB/s