SSD disk lost mac and windows partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zulan, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Zulan macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have a macbook pro that is just a few weeks old. It came with a 500GB disk, exchanged it to a 120GB SSD disk. I installed OSX and windows and it worked fine for a few weeks. Then I burned an ubuntu 10 x86 cd. I shut the machine down and was going from windows to osx so I had the alt button pressed down while starting the machine. It took a while, but after that I got a folder with a questionmark. I booted with a windows cd in, and it never reaches anything, just loading windows and freeze. I booted ubuntu with the cd I burned and it finds a disk but sais its unparitioned. I have booted osx installation dvd and it also finds the disk but sais its unpartitioned. Repair drive is grayed out.

I'm a windows admin and know my way around windows, I have just worked with mac for a few weeks so Im not familiar what I can do and what repair tools there is for the mac filesystems.

Any ideas?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Hope you had a backup.

Your experience sounds eerily like something I went through a year or two ago with my x25-m SSD.

Then again, if you didn't play around with the partitions i'm sure merely burning an ubuntu disk would cause total drive failure.

If you can't see it in disk utility, you might be hosed.

Some of the utilities i've used are Disk Warror, Drive Genius, And Tech Tool 5, but none of these are free and I doubt any would work if the partition simply vanished. I've had a little success with data rescue 3 but that was more of an accidental deletion thing.

One of the above tools may work but again, hopefully you have a backup. Good luck.

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

had this happen twice in a month and a half with OWC drives...both times the drive wasn't visible in disk utility and had to be exchanged...well not the second time that time I just asked for my money back

4. Zulan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys and thanks for answering.

I dont have a OWC drive but a Renice. But I think they have the same sandforce chipset if I'm not mistaken. Anyway I can see the disk in the disk utitlity program. It just cant repair it, the repair button is grayed out.

What more can I do? Maybe install osx on a usb drive or something if that is possible and use some kind of utility? I'm guessing windows and linux tools wont really cut it on mac with its boot camp stuff?

5. newdeal macrumors 68020

if you can see the drive in disk utility I would just format it and reinstall...when I had my OWC ssd (sandforce based) my time capsule was my best friend

6. Zulan thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, this hurts alot :-(

Does time capsule backup the windows parition as well?

7. newdeal macrumors 68020

I am not sure on that, probobly there is a way to do it and possibly it does it by default but I don't know as I don't use windows

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Nope. Time machine does not backup bootcamp partition. Windows has it's own built in backup to handle that.