SSD Drive Capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Markgnyc2, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Markgnyc2 macrumors regular

Hi All, looking for advice. I have a failing MBP mid 2012 that I need replaced. It has an old 500GB spinning hard drive that is almost filled because I save originals of my photos on it, as well as in icloud. My question is, when purchasing a new MBA, do I need to get a large SSD or is storing the photos in icloud, using icloud photo library, an alternative solution? I would rather not spend money unnecessarily, especially at the upgrade prices of storage. I currently use icloud for all of my photos and docs (I have the 2TB plan). Thanks for your opinions...

2. AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

Just checked my 15" MBP 2012 (without retina) and is it about double as fast regarding CPU/GPU (the MBP has a seperate NVDIA GPU) as a new 2018 MBA! Checked it with Cinebench. I upgraded my MBP with 16GB RAM and a 512 GB SSD, which is very easy with the 2012 MBP and not possible any more with the MBA. So you have to decide now what size of RAM and SSD you might need in the future. A MBA with 512 GB or 1 TB SSD and with 16 GB RAM is an expensive device related to the CPU/GPU performance and the quality of the display. The 2017 nTB MBP cost about the same and is more comparable to the 2012 MBP...

3. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Apple's SSD upgrade pricing is absurd. I use a NAS (Network Attached Storage). When working with photos or audio recordings I keep them local on the SSD and then when "done" I move to them to the NAS. Accessing them from the NAS again is slightly slower, but it's a non-issue for me.

My Macbook also backs to my NAS via Time Machine too.

I then have external drives to backup my NAS, but I never use an external drive for daily storage, everything is just pulled or pushed over the network.

4. AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

If he has the non Retina 2012 MBP the replacement of the HDD with a SSD is very easy and only takes some minutes. That was the last user and repair friendly MacBook Apple releases (so sad).

5. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

For sure. Reading the original post my understanding is thst he’s replacing the entire machine, not the drive.