ssd drive from 09 15" MBP to new i7 15" MBP - problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Jun 2, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Took my stock Apple 256ssd from my 09 15" MBP and installed into my new i7 15" MBP.

When I power on I get the grey screen with the Apple logo and that's and far as it goes.

I did the same recently with 13" MBP's and had no problems, the new machine started up fine, then I put the new install disk in and no problems. I can't get this far with the new 15".

Any idea's.

Thanks.

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

The machines have different driver requirements, ie. the OS is slightly different. Insert the OS Install DVD that came with the new system, and restart, holding down the C key (or option key) to startup from the DVD.
    Reinstall the OS and reboot, followed by running the software update from the system preferences. That should get you back up and running. It would be best to check for old software you installed too, and make sure it is compatible with the new system, too complex to go into here.
    Some people will say a clean install, repartition/format and install would be best, followed by an import of your settings etc from a backup/time machine. but that does take some time and trouble. You can always do that as a last resort. You do have your data backed up, don't you, on another disk/media?

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg