SSD drive in new mini - possible? worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by appleman108, Jul 28, 2010.

1. appleman108 macrumors member

is it worth it (or even possible) to install a SSD in a new mini.

if so, how is this done?
    and where would the other HD be housed,
    would it be an FW800 external?

i could buy an imac, but it's more than i need
    and i already have a perfectly good 23" cinema display.

thanks

2. mangrove macrumors 6502

Sure it's possible. Costs depends on your wallet. Many people get one just big enough for OSX and/or applications and use an external or another internal drive for files etc.

There are MANY threads on this site discussing just your questions. Search for them under "search" top of page.

3. Nabby macrumors regular

Sure it can be done for the money. You can replace the existing internal drive with the SSD drive. You can purchase an enclosure for the drive you currently have in there, but at 5400 RPMs, don't expect blazing speeds.

Lots of good feedback on the Momentus XT from Seagate. You can get a 500 GB, 7200 RPM drive for under $150 bucks, and it has 4 GB of internal storage that acts like an SSD. Check it out, they seem like a good mix between SSD and traditional hard drives.

Nabby

4. appleman108 thread starter macrumors member

thanks Nabby

sounds like this would make a nice efficient machine!

two things:

1. where would you recommend buying the drives (i'm in canada)
    2. where could i get the SSD installed (i don't trust myself doing it)

thanks again

5. Nabby macrumors regular

I haven't done the conversion myself (yet) on my new Mini. I'm considering it. I would order from newegg.com (if you can, I don't know if they ship to Canada).

And sorry, but I've got no idea where you can get it done. Perhaps a local Apple authorized service provider? Maybe a tech there will do it on the side for you?

Good luck.

Nabby

6. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Definately recommend the SSD upgrade. I would recommend you do research on which SSD to get as its not just a matter of any SSD, these days you have different controllers on them as well such as the newish sandforce controllers in the OCZ series. I would recommend the INTEL X25M or the OCZ Vertex 2E series.

7. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

Just got a 256GB...love the speed...hate the cost.

8. mangrove macrumors 6502

Hey, how about doing an xbench test on that for us and then publish your results either here or on the xbench site.

I'll do the same when I get my 256 installed.

9. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Don't OCZ and OWC have the same (or similar) Sandforce controllers? I noticed OCZ carries the same drives at a higher price.

10. mangrove macrumors 6502

I went with OWC-they have a long warranty and tech and service cannot be beat. They build them right here in the USA too.

11. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Yeah I like the warranty and I especially like the fact of them being made in America. Also my mistake on the OCZ ones, I was looking at SLC vs. MLC hence the vast price difference.