SSD drive installed....fans going crazy

Discussion in 'iMac' started by danmc00, Dec 12, 2011.

1. danmc00 macrumors regular

I got the Intel 320 series 120GB SSD drive installed in my 27" i7 iMac. The fans are going crazy on it. I read somewhere that I could either make a jumper or download a program to control this, but I couldn't find how to do either. Which is best? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

----------

HD fan is at 4400RPM

2. tnewson macrumors member

3. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Hehe, when i read your thread title I had an imagine of loads of apple fanboys cheering wildly as you installed your SSD.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Were your fans going crazy prior to the SSD install? Why are they running - could you have knocked a wire/cable off the logic board? What's the temp?

I'd not look for a solution to the symptom but rather the cause.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Depending on the original HDD model you have to short the sensor. My 2009 iMac was easy (Seagate) and a simple bit of wire across the two wire sensor.

6. danmc00 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My fans were fine before install. Mine came with a seagate 1TB. I didn't know what to do with the thermal wire that went to the stock hard drive. How do I jump it? Does anyone have pics or an explanation how to jump the wire on my 2009?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I see - sorry for the confusion. I had not realized that iMacs have thermal sensors on the HD.

Here's a couple sites I found on google that discuss disabling the sensor

http://lowendmac.com/newsrev/11mnr/0520.html
    http://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-t...ble-hard-drive-sensor-imac-after-hd-swap.html
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2526125?start=0&tstart=0

8. danmc00 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

How do you short the sensor?

Can I just leave it there and use a fan control app?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.

10. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

This won't do anything. the fans are spinning because his SSD does not have a thermal sensor in it to talk to the Mac. The fans spinning to maximum when the sensor is in an OPEN state is normal. He needs to short the jumper or use fan control software to fix this.

11. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

this is correct.