SSD Drive Upgrade BTO - Should I do it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hongolia, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Hongolia macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Just looking for some help. I'm looking to purchase a 13" MBP but I'm wondering if I should get the BTO SSD HD upgrade (128MB). I'm looking to keep this laptop for at least 3-4 years. I'm a student / resident doctor so I work a lot on Presentations / Word etc. but I'm also getting into the photography hobby.

Two options I'm looking at is

1. Just getting the upgrade now.

2. Buying the standard 13" MBP and in a year or so, just upgrade to a SSD myself.

Thanks for your help!

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I would buy it without the ssd and upgrade to the ssd yourself. It'll be cheaper to buy it afterwards from an internet retailer. And if you don't need to the ssd right away, the prices of ssd's are going down so you'll catch a better deal then.

3. exe163 macrumors regular

BTO stands for build to order right? I always thought it's CTO, customize to order.

From what I know, apple SSDs are expensive and slower than most retail SSD. This is a fact for pretty much most OEM upgrades. Also, they claim their drives are optimized for Mac, I can't see how.

If you don't mind open up your case, go with aftermarket for faster speed at a cheaper price.

4. Restinbeast macrumors member

I was considering doing the same thing (without SSD now, and replace later when prices go down) but I gotta say I am glad I didn't. The SSD is the single thing that can make your computer significantly, noticeably faster, and to me that was worth the money. Also with the fact that external drives are so cheap, adding capacity is not much of an issue.

There is one other thing to consider.. If you buy a 128gb ssd now, you can still benefit from the price drop by getting a much larger capacity down the road.

5. rush0 macrumors member

Might I suggest the OCZ vertex 2, its awesome!

6. jmdMac macrumors regular

Option 2. No question. Apples SSD's are overpriced and not nearly as good as some of aftermarket ones you can get for cheaper.
    Also, the longer you wait, the better GB/$$ you will get.

7. rubdom macrumors member

Agreed! I installed one in my MBP i5 yesterday in the optibay and it is super fast.

8. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

That's the favorite one around here...